VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
American Made, Rebel Born
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Give your local tunemakers some props, here.

My favourites from Denver are:

Matson Jones (listen to the Italian Song!)

Dressy Bessy

The Emmas

and then I'll think of some more later.

(did you think I was going to put the fray on here? puhleze.)

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Loser Squad got a record deal ... then broke up.

The Vanilla Curve is pretty good. Their lead singer used to be a guy who was friends with my ex. It seems he is no longer a member. That's mildly disappointing.

Through The Ashes isn't my thing, but they won Battle of the Bands last year. They're a bunch of crowd-pleasers. They put on quite a show [though they never wore their shoes on stage which I always thought to be incredibly unsanitary. I believe it was so they could be more nimble in their act ... they like to move and shake].

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm from the Dallas area, so there's a ton of great artists...

- Stevie Ray Vaughan

- Pantera

- Don Henley

- ZZ Top

- BJ Thomas (lol)

- Rev. Horton Heat

- Butthole Surfers (well technically they're from San Antonio, but one of the dude's dad was Mr. Peppermint, which was on TV in Dallas, haha)

- Tripping Daisy

- Burden Brothers

and then, my personal faves:

- the Toadiesssss plz.

Now I live in San Antonio which is.... well, much less lively, to say the least.

·
American Made, Rebel Born
6,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_uncle View Post

I thought the post was for unknown bands.

The Arcade Fire
thats what i meant - and i have both of their albums.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:

The Arcade Fire

Sam Roberts
I like your picks....

check out Stars of Track and Field (from Portland, OR) They just came out with a new cd. They have a strong indie/rock sound.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Quote:

The Arcade Fire

Sam Roberts
KILLER! I saw Sam Roberts Band open for Ben Kweller and it was some of the craziest, rockingest live music I've seen! Definitely check him/them out! Plus The Arcade Fire is pretty amazing as well, very creative.

As far as Columbus' relatively unknown music goes, there is a lot of local metal here. (Consider Dimebag's death/location...) On an unrelated note, there is a fellow by the name of Mike Perkins that is STELLAR! Very folksy, very summery music. It makes you want to flail around with a bunch of other (perhaps drunken, as it were when I saw him) people. He plays for free on Wednesdays at Scarlet and Gray Cafe, but he also plays for free on Thursdays in Mansfield, and also visits Athens every so often. Apparently he loves college kids, but they love him back so it's all good.

And for popular music, our claims to fame are O.A.R. and Rascall Flatts. Perhaps there are more, I can't think of them right now.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

Dressy Bessy
I love Dressy Bessy, but haven't gotten any of their CDs yet.

My favorite local band is 20 Minute Loop. They play music that I find extremely interesting and enjoyable. They have great shared male/female vocals.

I haven't been going to live shows for a couple of years now, so I'm really ignorant regarding which bands are local.

·
Registered
648 Posts
From near NYC (Jersey) there's an all girl (well, they are pretty old, i should say woman) band called Sit n' Spin. I saw them open for the 5.6.7.8's (Kill Bill) They play pop-punk songs about drinking and love and werewolves.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
Orlando Florida area has produced some pretty killer bands but my current favorite is:

Weszt

1 - 20 of 20 Posts