VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All we have tried so far are the "smart Life" brand and my kids haaaaaated them. Anyone have a good brand of veggie dogs that their kids can't get enough of?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
OK, these are just slightly weird to me, but some friends introduced my kids to the Worthington (or maybe Loma Linda, can't remember) brand of hot dogs called "Big Franks".... in a can... yes, yes, I KNOW! I KNOW - strange!!

Even though they seem weird because they're in a can, give them a chance - they actually taste quite good - most omni's who've tried them are very surprised that they like them, but they do...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I have to agree with TNS and the franks in a can.........a friend gave me a can of these ( i think the can was red? loma linda?) i dont remember , but anyway, they were very good, even my omni hubby liked them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My kids loved the morningstar dogs. They didn't even know they weren't real hot dogs. Now, yesterday, I bought the SmartDogs from Lightlife, and my older two kids said they were gross. The baby ate it, but he eats anything and everything you put in front of him, so he doesn't count, LOL. The only problem I have with the morningstar dogs is that they are frozen and you have to keep them frozen. We NEVER use all 8 at one time, and it is SUPER hard to get off the amount we need without messing up the others. I'm going to call the company and reccomend that they put a peice of plastic between the layers of 4, so that you could just use 4 and/or they would be easier to break apart.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My girls really chow down on the SmartDogs. Of course, that's pretty much the only brand that we've ever bought for them (why change it up when they eat it?). Generous amounts of ketchup, however, are required. But that's SOP for most anything they eat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the recs...my kids LOVE the Morningstar corn dogs, but I want to cook with them, so I need some of the non-corn vaiety.

It is the Smart Dogs my kids have tried and I just cannot get them excited about it. I will look for the Yves and Loma Linda this week. Thank you!

·
Registered
912 Posts
To break apart the Morningstar Farms dogs, I let them just thaw (maybe 15-30 minutes on the counter) so they break apart more easily, and then I put them in a separate baggie. They rarely freeze together again.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
The "Big Franks" are from Loma Linda brand, I just checked. They're vegan.

They do NOT resemble hot dogs in taste or texture at ALL, but I think this is part of the reason people actually like them. They are't even TRYING to be similar.

They come in a brine (or, like my kids are fond of saying: "hot dog juice"
) which can be drained if you want to grill them or put them in other dishes, or you can heat them right in it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

The "Big Franks" are from Loma Linda brand, I just checked. They're vegan.

They do NOT resemble hot dogs in taste or texture at ALL, but I think this is part of the reason people actually like them. They are't even TRYING to be similar.

They come in a brine (or, like my kids are fond of saying: "hot dog juice"
) which can be drained if you want to grill them or put them in other dishes, or you can heat them right in it.
My dad love them but I can't get over the water in them....or "hot dog juice"
ewwwwww

1 - 14 of 14 Posts