VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody make their own face wash/moisturizer?

I've been on a crusade to use only homemade or very limited ingredients face products. I like sugar and extra virgin olive oil. Also an awesome mask is turmeric, cinnamon, ginger, and honey. For breakouts I swear by pure red cider vinegar.

Anybody else make their own facial products? How do they work out for you?

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
I use an asprin mask. Just dissolve 3 or 4 non coated asprins in a little bit of warm water to make a paste then use it as a scrub or a mask.

I've never heard of using turmeric on your face. Doesn't it turn your skin yellow?

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
I do not use it on a regular basis, but I had really nice results with oatmeal, almond and soymilk. I grind the oatmeal/almonds in my magic bullet and add a little soymilk to make a paste. You can throw in a little olive oil, too if you like. Leaves your skin nice and smooth/soft! You can use it all over, not just on your face.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I use an asprin mask. Just dissolve 3 or 4 non coated asprins in a little bit of warm water to make a paste then use it as a scrub or a mask.

I've never heard of using turmeric on your face. Doesn't it turn your skin yellow?
Turmeric sure will turn your face yellow! I just use a small bit and make sure to do it in the evening, not in the morning before I go to work. It is FANTASTIC for your skin and health in general. One of my favorite spices. :)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I wash my face with olive oil and then massage in about a tsp or 2 of baking soda and then rinse off. Follow up with rose water.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

I use baking soda daily, it works great on my oily skin. Coconut oil as a moisturizer
I've been trying out the baking soda this week, thanks! :)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
The oil doesn't make you ladies break out?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

The oil doesn't make you ladies break out?
I only started the oil recently so I can't really report on that. My face is kind of broken out right now but I'm attributing that to my period about to start. I read as long as you get a quality extra-virgin oil it won't make you break out. But I guess that really just depends on your skin. I tend to have dry skin so maybe I need more oil.

I'll report back after the big bad evil period has come and gone!

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I remember reading that as long as the oil is plant-based, it won't make you break out. But I'm still afraid to try. I don't use moisturizer anyway.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitLuvr View Post

Sometimes I scrub with a bit of baking soda. I love how my skin feels afterwards.

I'm too oily to add any more oil.
I just started the baking soda and I love how it feels too! I like how it feels as I'm washing as well. It's almost like exfoliation but not exactly.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Baking soda wont bother extra sensitive skin?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

Baking soda wont bother extra sensitive skin?
So far it hasn't bothered mine and my skin is pretty sensitive. I've only been using it about a week though. I'll keep updating. :)

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
i love jojoba oil and olive oil. on their own to moisturize or mix them with salt or sugar for a scrub.
i also used to use baking soda as a scrub and the aspirin mask is great.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I just tried scrubbing with baking soda, and I loved it! It didn't dry out or irritate my skin

I've also made the switch to using baking soda as shampoo and apple cider vinegar as conditioner. My hair has never looked nor felt better!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I use coconut oil as a moisturizer and I love it. It makes my skin so soft and smooth- and I have problem skin

I usually put it on my right before bed so it can fully absorb. If I put it on before going out, my skin definitely looks shinier. But I use it generously!

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sequoia View Post

I just tried scrubbing with baking soda, and I loved it! It didn't dry out or irritate my skin

I've also made the switch to using baking soda as shampoo and apple cider vinegar as conditioner. My hair has never looked nor felt better!
I really like it too! How does the soda work on your scalp? I have a VERY dry and easily irritated scalp.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts