VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My antivirus has expired on my netbook, and I'm not sure where to go for a free one. Suggestions?

·
Registered
10,728 Posts
I like McAffee and Avast.

·
Rat Queen/Mouse Matriarch
836 Posts
Third on avast, I think you just re-register for free every year.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

Avast and AVG.
These two programs always seem to top the list on sites like PC World, PC Mag and CNET so I'm assuming they do a good job. I run Norton Internet Security, an all-in-one security suite, but from what I understand those freeware programs do a decent job.

·
Banned
1,803 Posts
AVG!

I have the paid version (because my laptop is on a network of over 2500 people and next year will be on a network of 18 people so I got a 2 year license) but the free version is brilliant for a home computer....

·
Registered
499 Posts
I like Avast for it's real time scanning, saved me from quite a few sites that should have been safe, but had malicious scripts that download junk onto your computer. Avast and AVG are good too.

I found a chart!
http://dottech.org/freeware-reviews/14151
Only a few months old, should still be accurate.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I use AVG, too.
Seems to be doing the job it's supposed to be.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ooh, I like charts, thanks!

Thank you all for your help, I've decided to go with Avast, and so far no problems (then again, I've only had it for a couple of days).

·
Registered
402 Posts
Avast ye, mateys!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I've had great results with both AVG and Avast although in a strange way I enjoy that Avast talks to me. Perhaps I need to get out more.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Haha, it amuses me too.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
One thing I would suggest to anyone asking this question: pick one antivirus program with an active, always-on virus shield that loads into memory. Then use a second antivirus program that has to be run manually. And the secondary AV program that I would recommend is the free version of Malwarebytes' Anti-malware. This needs to be updated manually, but it will supplement rather than interfere with your primary AV.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php

Belt-and-suspenders (or belt-and-braces, as they say in Britain).

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Avast.

I found that AVG interfered with several programme installations so I uninstalled it. For security I use a combination of Avast, ZoneAlarm and Spybot.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts