VeggieBoards banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
best in what way though?

i'd also like to hear some of the responses because i, personally, have not been able to find a birth control that i'm compatable with. it's very frustrating. i've had problems with everything ive ever tried. i was on the pill for years and hated it, got pregnant twice while on it, it also made me feel sick constantly, gain weight, and if i missed 1 pill id have my period the whole month, and sometimes longer. i'm allergic to latex. there is no diaphragm that fits me comftorably. my skin is sensitive to spermicides, or something that they put in them, not sure. i tried the nuva ring and it was the most disgusting, annoying thing ever. im considering the patch but i think the side effects would be the same as the pill.

im also thinking about trying the sponge, ive been reading about it lately, it's making some kind of "come-back" or something. who does it think it is, Cher?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Sympto-thermal method of NFP
Has a 99% effective rate, as high or higher than most artificial methods of birthcontrol, with none of the side effects or health risks that artificial birth control has.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Currently (and for the near future anyway) it's abstinence

but..... When I was "doin' it".....I used the pill/condom. Now that I heard something about pigs being used to make the birth control pill - I doubt I'd go back to that form.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, what sucks is every form of the pill is milk-based. but i think i'm leaning towards that right now because it is the easiest, at least when i was on triphasil two years ago i had no problems. ortho-trycycline made me gain weight.

the diaphragm scares me, and so does depo. i just don't think i could do it.

the reason i pose this question is last week a condom broke, so i'm not too confident in that method anymore. and i KNOW pulling out is unreliable. so i'm leaning towards the pill, but was looking for any other opinions.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I used Depo for a year and liked it except that for a full week ever other month I'd be crampy and sometimes I'd break out (and I had always had perfect skin). I super liked Ortho-Novum (sp?) and am now on Ortho-tri-cylen which seems okay. But I know that many of my friends have gotten all irritated and weepy on both Ortho pills, so maybe I'm just able to handle the homones? Don't know. And condoms, of course. Though, if I were married, I'd through those to the wind, I hate them so much!

·
Registered
720 Posts
P.S. Within the next day or two after a condom break, you should look into emergency contraception (basically a super dose of birth control pills) which would ensure no conception. You can get it from your Dr, or P.P. Might make you crazy for a day or too, but at least no baby.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I have been on the pill for years. No negative effects, only positive ones. I use generics of Triphasil. I can't use anything with nonoxyl-9, makes me itch, so the pill/condom has been my method. BC I've been on it so long, I have a very good habit of taking it everyday at the same time, increasing my effectiveness rate.

I would recommend that anyone using condoms also use some other method. I have known many people (including myself) who have had weird things happen with them (breaking, sliding off, etc.)

I have thought about the IUD, though, bc I think over 35, there are increased health risks on the pill, plus, I've been on it a very, very long time. (And yes, this has been an informed decision, considering the health benefits and risks)

Since I've only have to worry about this in the context of monogomous, longterm, std tested relationships, I make effectivness and convenience my highest priority in choosing methods.

·
Registered
0 Posts
If you have condoms breaking (as in more then once), then you are doing something wrong. Make sure they are put on correctly and use KY.

If you do have unprotected sex of any kind (including a condom breaking), use the emergency conception from the doctor. Also, if it happens with a untested partner (untested while with you), then have STD tests done as well.

You could stop having sex for a while. That's a great contracptive!

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
doesn't always cut it though

http://www.plannedparenthood.com/ has some info on different methods.

one thing i may check out is this little electronic device, you use it to measure your temperature in the morning and it gives you a green or red light. it just keeps track of your cycle and lets you know when you're ovulating. seems pretty natural but i don't know how reliable it is. you can buy them in some health food stores, their website has a list of stores that have it or you can order it online

http://www.babycomp-ladycomp.com/en/

eta: the cutting it comment was directed at Robert, others are posting faster than me today, tsk

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I wouldn't recommend a diaphragm, btw. I was extremely stoked to use one a few years back because I loathe pills and condoms. Unfortunately, I suffered an ectopic (tubal) pregnancy due to the diaphragm. I wasn't informed by my doctor until after the surgery that this is a common side effect with diaphragms.

Now I take b/c pills but a low estrogen form called Loestrin. I've been on them for three years with little trouble. They might work for you if you've had difficulty with the higher estrogen pills like Ortho etc.

Lucky for me my husband is off to get a vasectomy in a few weeks. Woo hoo!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Fiance and I have used the pill/condom combo for just over 2 years, with no "oopsies."

I was just on the pill before, but to be honest I didn't trust it on its own. I'm not sure WHY, but it just seemed too easy - and we didn't want a chance of a baby at that point (yes, I know there's always a chance...but if somehow we managed to concieve with both methods, then we'd consider it meant to be). After we're married, we'll go back to just the pill. Actually, I am considering switching to Ortho-Evra later this summer, it's actually a patch.

I went on Ortho-Cyclen 3 years ago for medical reasons, and am still on it for medical reasons...the contraception is just a nice side benefit.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
i know how you feel, i didn't really entirely trust the pill when i was on it, and now that we're just using condoms i don't entirely trust them either. i think if i do go back on the pill or some other form of b/c, i'll still make him use condoms. at least during the middle of my cycle anyway. plus they're less messy. i always feel yucky afterwards and the whole next day unless we use one

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
abstinance?

LOL...it's working for me right now anyway. I could never do the pill, and injected hormones...well, let's see...NO. I tried a sponge once, and let me just be blatently honest, it took a spoon to get it out.

condoms always worked best (even through my marriage). people think they aren't terribly convenient, but they WERE pretty dang reliable. Seven years, one pregnancy...lots of sex. Not bad.

Okay, I'm done being nasty.

B

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
i know this is of no use to any of you who think you actually might want to have babies with your partners in the future, but i just have to say the best form of birth control i've ever tried is vasectomy.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I just started using the patch (ortho-evra) today. The last time I used birth control it was the pill and I didn't like it much. I like the idea of the patch because you just change it once a week, and for one week you take it off completely (like with the pill, you don't take anything for a week).

I'll let you all know how I like it after a little while. I will tell you one thing though, ever since I put it on, I've felt almost loopy. It must have a high concentration of hormones in it. I've even felt somewhat moody. I felt this way when I was on the pill. It was one of the reasons why I stopped taking it--that and having a hard time remembering to take the pill everyday. It could feel a lot different after a week or so, though.

If it doesn't work out, I think I'll try depoprovera (the shot). My sister-in-law highly recommended it, but I hate shots and wanted to avoid that if at all possible. Who knows, we might just go back to using a condom for a while. We want kids, but it's gonna be at least a few years, so a vasectomy is out of the question.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.