VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to make beer bread tonight, and I've never made it before. According to my mom, it's REALLY simple. 3 cups of self-rising flour, 1 stick of butter, half a cup of sugar, and one can of beer. I'm not a drinker, and I've never bought beer before, nor really had any. Does it matter what kind of beer I use?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
It shouldn't really matter. Different beers do have different flavors, but I can't really think of a beer that would be bad for beer bread.

Alternatively, you can make beer bread with soda (pop) instead, in case you don't want to buy a whole 6-pack of something you'll never drink. I think the carbonation is what's important. Bread made with soda will be sweeter.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Wellll...It does and it doesn't. If you aren't much of a drinker and don't appreciate the finer points of beer, a can of bud should do.* However, beer bread is so much fun to play with! You can make a sweeter bread with a Belgian style witbeer like Blue Moon. Or you could make Mexican bread with Corona, and add a bit of and a Jalapeno half cup of so of sharp cheddar. Have fun with it!

*This is my oblicatory objection to buying beer in *shudder* cans. Spring for a six pack of bottled beer. It really does make a difference.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm, I may have to try that one day. I figured if I buy a six-pack of whatever, and my fiancé loves it, I can make a ton more (plus I can take some to work).

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Haha, Karen and I posted at the same time. I'm not a drinker at all. The last time I had ANY alcohol was about 2 years ago, and I tried my mom's Mike's Hard Lemonade (nasty). It gives me an upset stomach.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, for those that care: I used Miller Lite (it was the cheapest). Turned out well!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigBug View Post

Oh, for those that care: I used Miller Lite (it was the cheapest). Turned out well!
*Sticks fingers in ears* Lalala! I'm not listening!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey, I'll do you proud. I bought the six-pack of bottles.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, I'm not a beer drinker, and money is tight. When I get more money, I'll spring for a better beer (and ask you what kind, since I know nada). Deal?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I forgot to ask, what's wrong with Miller Lite?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, what would you recommend I use, that won't break the bank?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Rolling Rock is nice, or MGD if you want to stick with Miller. But I'm not a fan of American beers in general.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MGD? Is that the actual name, an abbreviation?

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I just don't think it would matter that much -- do you think you could really taste the difference between Miller light and Rolling Rock in bread form?

If money were that tight I'd be inclined to spend money on something a little more fun than beer that is destined to be consumed only in bread.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not following...

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerVeggie View Post

I just don't think it would matter that much -- do you think you could really taste the difference between Miller light and Rolling Rock in bread form?
I can.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.