VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
19,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc. is changing its egg-buying policies to give hens a break.

The South Burlington-based ice cream maker will become the first national food manufacturer to require egg producers to allow their laying hens to live outside cages, the Humane Society of the United States and the company said.

It will take four years for Ben & Jerry's to change all its egg-buying practices, the company said.

The company agreed to the change after the Humane Society made an issue last month of the fact that Ben & Jerry's bought eggs from Michael Foods Inc., of Minnetonka, Minn., which couldn't guarantee its hens were being treated properly.
Full story...

http://www.kare11.com/news/national/...storyid=135433
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
I went on a tour of the Ben and Jerry's factory back when my sister was going to school in Vermont (about 3 years ago). I asked on the tour if they used free range eggs, and they told me they couldn't, because there weren't enough suppliers available. So I didn't eat any of the ice cream (I was on a tour with family from Puerto Rico).

I, therefore, assume full responsibility for the fact that they now are going to use free-range eggs. ;-) They must have taken such pity on me, sitting ice cream-less in that sample room, that the wheels of change immediately began turning. You can begin the thank-yous now. ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,743 Posts
Four years? Ben and Jerry should be crammed into cages so tight they can't turn around in, and kept in a dirty shed with 10,000 dying chickens, for the next four years while this lengthy switchover is happening. That's really lame.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,934 Posts
I guess all those emails we sent actually did some good. Now if they could actually make sure the hens are really given good lives (fat chance) that would be something more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

Four years? Ben and Jerry should be crammed into cages so tight they can't turn around in, and kept in a dirty shed with 10,000 dying chickens, for the next four years while this lengthy switchover is happening. That's really lame.
Agreed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

I went on a tour of the Ben and Jerry's factory back when my sister was going to school in Vermont (about 3 years ago). I asked on the tour if they used free range eggs, and they told me they couldn't, because there weren't enough suppliers available. So I didn't eat any of the ice cream (I was on a tour with family from Puerto Rico).

I, therefore, assume full responsibility for the fact that they now are going to use free-range eggs. ;-) They must have taken such pity on me, sitting ice cream-less in that sample room, that the wheels of change immediately began turning. You can begin the thank-yous now. ;-)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
730 Posts
I will be raising free-ranged chickens for eggs and as pets this spring. I am excited. I already have a waiting list of people wanting to purchase eggs from me. Goes to show that there really is an increasing demand!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,984 Posts
I wonder what the psycological impacts of stealing an egg from its mother are...

I know my old cockatiels sure did hate when I had to take their egg's... would fiercly protect them, and acted depressed afterwords. But options were limited... and this is yet another reason why I think animals in the home is a perversion of nature.

but i digress, this isn't the thread to discuss such matters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by troub View Post

I wonder what the psycological impacts of stealing an egg from its mother are...

I know my old cockatiels sure did hate when I had to take their egg's... would fiercly protect them, and acted depressed afterwords. But options were limited... and this is yet another reason why I think animals in the home is a perversion of nature.

but i digress, this isn't the thread to discuss such matters.
I think it depends on the bird. I had a cockatiel that would lay an egg and wouldn't know what to do with it. I would leave it in her cage and she would roll it around sometimes, but mostly ignore it. I would take it away and she just didn't care. Strange.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
393 Posts
^^ our cockatiels played Aussie rules football with theirs.

But if a company will change after the big buy out, that gives me hope for the food omnis have being less of a heinous thing. But for many years it will be a heinous thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffenoughtoroc View Post

I will be raising free-ranged chickens for eggs and as pets this spring. I am excited. I already have a waiting list of people wanting to purchase eggs from me. Goes to show that there really is an increasing demand!
I've raised chickens for many years, and recently decided NOT to go into production of them on a commercial basis. There's a thread about why in the Digging in the Dirt forum if you're interested. I'd be happy to give any advice I can.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top