VeggieBoards banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, everyone!

I'm new here and it's very nice to see that many like0minded people!

Here's a question : I seem to have managed to give a strong example to one of my meat eating friends, so he decided to try and go veggy. He tried for about three months with rather balansed diet and then went back to eating meat. He said whilst being veggy all his bones and joints were clicking. That stopped when he took up eating meat again. I didn't know what to tell him about it so I wondered have anybody experienced the same thing. Any opinions?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi. I've never experienced that. I'm interested to hear if there is actually a scientific reason why not eating flesh would cause that to happen and then eating it would stop it from happening. Somehow I have a hunch that your friend hunted for a reason to go back to flesh eating ways, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
On the other hand, you could be right MsRuthie.

Never heard of that either. Maybe he lost weight and his joints were carrying less weight??? (<---- extremely unfounded and unscientific assumption)

ETA: Welcome koopp, BTW!

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Welcome, koopp! So glad you're here!

My theory about the creaky ex-veg*n is that meat swells a person and holds water where water shouldn't be. IMSUO: When he stopped eating the meat, the water and excess fluids that were held against his joints were gone. That's why the clicking and popping. His bones and joints were operating in their natural state instead of the inflammed one. Meat (and diary) is an inflammatory property. Even though not everyone that eats meat gets arthritis (or some other -itis like tendonitis for example), some develop bone and joint conditions eventually. The other day, I read a report stating that Rhumatoid Arthritis is the #1 cause of disability among adults and that the patients are getting younger and younger. I bet that if one were to do a study on those patient's dietary habits, they would also find the same people to be meat and dairy eaters (I find that there is no coincidence that the populations that eat the most meat and diary are also the same ones that have high rates of bone, joint, heart diseases as well and a ton of other things).

You may be right in a way, oatmeal (about carrying less weight). Veg*ns tend to be leaner than their omni counterparts, but if that were the case, then we would all be talking about how much more we crack and creek since going veg....

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you, everybody.

DeeYahMK , your theory is sensible and, anyway, convincing . Mind that we live in the Czech Rep. and my friend fully adapted the local habit of having 4 pints daily and 10 ro 12 when hanging out. I'd translate your version to him - that's won't hurt and perhaps stimulate him to get more informed on what he's consuming.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Lucky I checked this post, because I was just about to ask this same question!

My boyf and I hadn't eaten meat for years but as soon as we became vegan earlier this year we both noticed our joints cracking and popping. Besides that, I feel so much healthier, and my joints don't hurt, but the noise can sometimes be very loud! We can hear each other clicking and popping on different sides of the room!

But, it does seem to be lessening the longer we're vegan, so maybe it was just an adjustment period. *shrugs* I'll just have to wait and see!

koopp, did your friend do much exercise? My boyf and I don't do a lot and I wondered if that could have something to do with it. I occasionally exercise and once I'm warmed up I don't seem to have the problem. Just a guess

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I see this is an old post...

I have been experiencing joint popping and cracking lately too and it's kind of freaking me out. I mean nothing hurts, but it seems quite unusual, since my joint have never in the past. I have been vegetarian since may 07 and vegan for almost two months. I started noticing this about 2 weeks ago.

I've searched google and can only seem to find mixed ideas...

Anyone else dealing with this or has? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
920 Posts
As I grow older my old joints pop and crack....but I digress.

I would make sure you're getting plenty of water. Try a spoonful of flax oil a day to help lubricate the joints. Make sure you're getting calcium and a source of Vitamin D (the best of course is sunshine).

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I drink LOTS of water, not too much though, yet definately whats recommended. I also sprinkle flax seed meal on all my cereals, salads, lots of stuff. I've never used flax oil, does it have different or better effects than the seeds/meal themself?

Calcium I know I am safe on, but the Vitamin D I am sure I am not getting enough. I take a vegan multivitamin, but its very hard for me to get much sunshine where I live right now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.