VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was a vegetarian, I always had so much respect for vegans, because I thought eating no animal products was impossible. It's not :p. Before I went vegetarian, I don't know what I thought of vegans. I was only 6 when I went vegetarian after all.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've always aspired to become veg*n. I remember when I was a kid and hearing about it for the first time. Katherine Helmond was on some show my mom was watching and was talking about it. I asked my mom about it and she told me that vegetarians were all weirdos from California. As I got older, I learned that wasn't the truth. I didn't become vegetarian until adulthood, but I've always thought that it was awesome to eat a diet without meat.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Back in the day, I thought that they were a bunch of overly sentimental morons. I remember thinking "The cows wouldn't even be alive if they weren't going to be eaten, and c'mon... they like to be milked."

Yeah, I was ill-informed. Oops .

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I aspired to vegetarianism but thought it would be too hard. I thought vegans were a bunch of nuts, even for a while after I went vegetarianI only considered veganism after a close friend went vegan.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I don't think I really thought of it. I'd hardly heard the word until I was an adult and moved to the city. I guess I thought like a lot of other people...that they ate rocks and grass or something

·
Registered
379 Posts
I tried becoming a vegetarian when I was, like, 12. I can't really remember anything before that, about how I thought about veg*nism - my grandmother was/is a Buddhist and she didn't eat meat because, as my parents explained when I was young, she felt bad for the animals. So, I don't think I ever thought of veg*nism in a negative way. And the people who inspired me to become a vegetarian were both vegans, and I remember thinking - if they can stop eating cheese, surely I can stop eating meat!

And I did when I was 14 (my parents flipped out). After I became vegetarian, I looked at vegans with a sort of disbelieving respect - I was convinced that *I* couldn't do it, but I always cheered when I met someone who could.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I thought vegetarians were nuts for a while, until I actually started thinking about it. It took me about a year to go from thinking it was a good idea to actually doing it. It wasn't until I joined this board that I stopped thinking vegans were crazy. My bad.

·
Banned
1,127 Posts
I thought they were crazy right up to the day I became a vegetarian myself!

I lived with a couple of vegans before my transition, and they weren't very nice people, so that really tainted the idea of veganism to me. When I had my eureka moment, it was so totally life-altering that the impressions my former room-mates left me with did not matter.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I had a veg*n GF a few years before I became one myself. I remember looking through her Vegetarian Times magazine and thinking "This is weird"

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've always admired vegetarians and vegans so I'm really glad I finally became one myself.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I didn't even know what a vegan was until the fateful day when I was 15 and became one. I didn't think much one way or another about vegetarians because I truly didn't know about the suffering that was going on.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luxdancer View Post

I tried becoming a vegetarian when I was, like, 12. I can't really remember anything before that, about how I thought about veg*nism - my grandmother was/is a Buddhist and she didn't eat meat because, as my parents explained when I was young, she felt bad for the animals. So, I don't think I ever thought of veg*nism in a negative way. And the people who inspired me to become a vegetarian were both vegans, and I remember thinking - if they can stop eating cheese, surely I can stop eating meat!

And I did when I was 14 (my parents flipped out). After I became vegetarian, I looked at vegans with a sort of disbelieving respect - I was convinced that *I* couldn't do it, but I always cheered when I met someone who could.
I don't think I had much of an opinion on vegetarianism before I became one, but after I did I felt the same way about vegans. I thought they must have super powers or something

Thankfully I learned it's not about living in deprivation or using massive amounts of will power all the time, just about changing the way you think about food. Plus, vegan cupcakes

·
Registered
892 Posts
I pictured vegans eating a lot of tofu and soy meat/milk. I didn't know how plant based a persons diet could be.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I understood vegetarians but I thought vegans were extremists. I had never seen battery cages and I thought that dairy cows were happy.

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

Pick a random nugget of wisdom from the Stupid Thing Omnivores Say thread.
Same here. I thought they were stupid and crazy. I made fun of them. Never thought I'd be one.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

I don't think I had much of an opinion on vegetarianism before I became one, but after I did I felt the same way about vegans. I thought they must have super powers or something

Thankfully I learned it's not about living in deprivation or using massive amounts of will power all the time, just about changing the way you think about food. Plus, vegan cupcakes
I was the same way. Esp because I have medical conditions the make me unable to eat peppers and onions I was like I won't be able to eat anything.

·
Impeach the gangster
10,052 Posts
Before becoming vegetarian and then vegan I never thought much about them at all. I was a very well-trained omnivore. Basically thoughtless.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts