VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this has been posted before, I tried searching around and I didn't find anything.

Anyway, I'm just curious: what type of person were you when(if) you ate meat? Were you a really hostile in-your-face type about your meat? Did you just not care? Or were you more sympathetic to the veg*n cause and always teetering a bit?

And finally, what made you decide to change your diet?

~~~

Myself, I was always sympathetic to the cause, I loved animals from the moment I was born, always had them around me (specifically cats) and really didn't like the idea of eating certain meats (ex. I was scared of hot dogs and what was in them...eww). I ate meat for 19 years of my life and mostly I just decided to stay ignorant about what happened. I didn't want to know, but then sometimes I did and would just back out.

I never was hostile to vegetarians, I'd just ask them lots of questions, because I suppose subconsciously I was preparing myself for the day I'd become vegetarian.

Finally, one day after meeting with a vegetarian friend of mine for coffee, I decided to take a look online at some of the animal rights sites.......after watching "Meet your Meat" I declared never again. It really changed me, and I really couldn't (and can't) understand how it would not effect someone.

I've been vegan for more than half a year now and I won't go back. This is it for me and I'm just so happy that I made this change relatively early in life

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
The whole notion of veg*nism was pretty much unknown to me or ignored by me. When my friend became veg*n, I was somewhat hostile but not for long.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I wanted to be veg since I was little[elementary], I loved animals, and hated how they were treated, and didn't want to eat their dead bodies. My parents (hunters) made me eat meat. Then when I entered middle school, I refused to eat any meat, they seen I was still serious. No more problems.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I decided to change right around my 30th birthday, based on seeing a presentation/cooking class by David Gabbe and as a final conclusion to a gradual (several years) improvement of my diet.

Among other experiences, I worked in a mickey-dees for two summers when I was 18/19, and even after that it was years before I really stopped eating fast food, and longer before I stopped eating meat.

I grew up on the east coast and never met a vegetarian, or don't remember it. Up until about 3 weeks before I switched I would have thought they were protein-deprived fruitcakes. Change can happen quickly.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I was always sympathetic too, always preferred veggies over meat even as a child, always loved animals. I think I always believed killing for meat was wrong, but never persued it because it was inconvenient & easy to ignore.

My biggest obstacle was/is the fact that I love to cook, especially old Czech family recipes that my grandmother taught me to make. Recipes laden with meat & dairy! I have a hard time giving up that emotional attachment, but I do.

My moment of clarity came midway thru a McChicken. Hubby & I were eating in the car, I looked at the McChicken & said "This is f-ing disgusting, why are we doing this?!" He agreed & we haven't looked back. It was a simple choice when the time was finally right.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I sort of never really thought about it .. Had a couple of vegetarian friends and knew a vegan through the family (always sick.. Musnt eat properly)..

Then one day I was on PINK'S website and went to the kentucky fried CRUELTY site and from there went on and on.. And I was in instant SHOCK..

And honestly from that day turned vegetarian and have become almost vegan since the start of this year..

I wouldnt look bak for one second... LOVE THIS LIFESTYLE...

·
Baby Love
5,812 Posts
When I was a kid and first heard about my parent's friend being a vegan, I thought it was weird. I thought she must be a bit nutty to be so extreme and wondered what she ate. I understood vegetarianism and someone not wanting to kill an animal to eat, but since this was long before I knew anything about factory farming, I had no idea what the point of cutting out eggs and cheese would be. Of course, I was also a painfully shy child and never confronted or questioned her about her choice.

Seeing that I'm not generally an in your face type of person, I've never been one to be hostile towards others for choices such as diet, ethics, religion, etc. I don't consider myself to have been either a judgmental meat-eater or judgemental (aka nazi) veg. I enjoy learning about different peoples' ways of life. I can't say I always agree or even understand, but I'm a curious one.

I've always loved animals and was a sensitive and nurturing child who couldn't stand the suffering of others. I grew up to be a very spiritual person as well. It makes sense that vegetarianism would fall in to play somewhere.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I was pretty much your standard omni. I knew veg*ns existed, but I didn't care to change. "It's natural to eat meat" blah blah. Then one day I just stopped eating meat. I couldn't think of a good reason to be an omnivore anymore -- it seemed weird. I mean, who eats dead animals? Now I'm vegan.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was raised thinking that eating meat was just a normal thing that everyone did. When I thought "vegetarian", I thought "why?". I didn't understand why someone wouldn't eat meat.

I first looked at vegetarianism when I saw seals being clubbed on a video on the internet. It highly disturbed me, so I wondered what else was going on with animals. I learned so much information in only a few days. I decided to become a vegetarian because of all the animal mistreatment out there. I never would have known any of that was happening had it not been for websites like Peta.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Yeah exactly discotechx... The websites showed me the way and Im so gratefull for that.. Some of those videos of people(if thats what you can call them) bashing innocent animals and hurting them more and more even though they have already brocken their legs and cant walk is DISGUSTING...

I was depressed for weeks...

Im so happy that I found these sites so I could change my way of living.

·
Banned
4,482 Posts
Hardly heard of it and pretty arrogant to wards those who were

Listening to the radio and there was a news item about famine in India they turned down some of the aid as it had animal products in it. My response was to let the
die ......connceted arrogance .

Thats why find very easy to be kind and smiley to the meat in your face types .That way it keeps there energy away from you
Although most people seem to have an amazing respect for my vegetarianism

Bit taken back by what is posted on the boards here with what people experience with others , an there attitude to wards them

Went to an acupunctures once and he said

"you need to go on a fast "

So fasted 10 days , was my energy went as high as a kite . Came of it , walked past a butchers shop nearly
..never ate meat since.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I never really thought about it. None of my friends were veg*n, and therefore it was never really brought up in conversation or anything.

·
Registered
9,260 Posts
"Unaware" would be the best way to describe it. You could tell me you were vegan and I don't think I would've had much of an idea what it meant. Learning the reasons for being vegan clarified the concept for me. Otherwise, it was like telling me that some cities put graphite in their concrete but yours doesn't. I started researching veganism at the same time I became vegetarian.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wasnt exposed to a vegetarian lifestyle until my late teens, when I met a few very vocal vegans. They were pretty cool guys into poetry, smelled like nice incense, sexy dreadlocks, no little pot bellies or man-boobs ... naturally, I was curious.

I have to say (hot men aside) that this first encounter with veganism was not the best. Rather than positively providing the manifold pros of the vegan diet, one of them kind of made a point of implying that I was stupid and ultimately an evil human being because I wasnt vegan and he was, which Im not sure is the best method of conversion.

After the hot-militant-vegan-guy incident, I decided to give vegetarianism a shot (he fed me some good food a conversion method I *do* recommend!). I fell off the wagon quickly as I still lived with my parents, and was quite frankly too lazy to cook all my own meals when I could just eat what others had prepared.

After moving away from home and having sole responsibility for my meals, meat got cut; I didnt want to deal with raw, bloody food, probably the only thing I had found offensive about meat (anyone else remember the sensation of shoving your hand up a raw chicken's cavity? Not something I miss).

The incident of the purple chicken thighs (they weren't in a blackberry sauce, either) in a dorm cafeteria pushed me into vegetarianism, along with my mother being diagnosed with diabetes and my realizing that diabetes, high blood pressure, and several other hereditary illnesses influenced by diet now run on both sides of my family.

I started cutting out dairy and eggs after reading Vegan: The New Ethics of Eating, and learning that milk didn't come from contented field-cows milked by a plump, blushing maid, and that eggs weren't collected up by Farmer Joe's rosy wife.

Im enjoying my vegan diet as much as ever - unlike meat, my food never stinks before I cook it and doesn't drip suspicious body fluids onto other stuff in my shopping basket or bags. And I'm hoping that by switching to a healthier diet by choice in my 20s, I won't have to deal with diabetes, heart issues, and high pressure and all the dietary shifts they call for, later in life.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Growing up I was basically unaware of vegetarianism. I honestly didn't meet my first vegetarian until I met who would later become my first wife. Actually, she was off and on pescatarian, and when we were together she was pescatarian to compromise with my diet, and actually for a short while even started eating chicken. She went vegetarian, maybe even vegan after we split, but I wouldn't have really known the difference.

I was never offended by vegans or vegetarians and rarely rubbed it in their face or anything. I at lotws of meat, I am from Kansas City area and grew up with BBQ, the long slow smoked kind. I even cooked a lot myself, even started getting into competitions. When I cooked for other people I was always careful to plan vegetarian options, and by that point knew the difference between varous vegetarians.

Guess what happened? I got fat and my cholesterol got high. I studied the causes of cholesterol and to help lower it I wiped out all animal products from my diet. After just a couple weeks of being this way, I realized I did not miss the meat, and actually started wondering why I ate it all the time before. I had always been a big animal lover and managed to turn a blind eye to what my meat eating meant really. So the change for me was easy. I have only been this way for over a month, but I doubt I will go back.

My wife loves animals too. She makes omni remarks now and then, partly for fun, but partly becuase I think she is concerned about what this means long term. I suspect she may change too, but I'm not going to push her. However, the last time she told me I felt funny becuase I wasn't eating meat, I did respond that at least my meals didn't require the death of innocent animals. She tried the overpopulation thing to make herself feel better and I mentioned it was supply/demand. It was mostly in fun, but I do think it made her feel bad. I don't plan on doing that again becuase I don't want this to be a problem I initiated, but one she realizes in her own time.

ETA - Dang, I got wordy again. Sorry.
:

·
Registered
6,887 Posts
I was unaware and kind of oblivious before I went veg. I just ate meat because that was what you did, although I really didn't like things that reminded me that meat was from an animal. I was all about the boneless, skinless chicken breasts- No uncomfortable reminder that it was once a living thing!

Then about 4 years ago, I went to my cousin's college Grad in Boulder, CO, and both her and my other cousin were vegetarians- We ate lots of really great veggie foods, but I didn't really talk to her about it, but it must have impacted me subconsiously, because when I had to write a paper in an anthropology of food seminar, the topic I chose was 'Social Conflict between Vegetarians and Omnivores in Contemporary North American Society'.

After all the research I did (it was a 40 page paper, I did TONS of research), I couldn't NOT be a vegetarian. I knew too much. It wasn't so much the A/R stuff that grabbed my attention, but the health, environmental and social aspects of being veg. Now it's just shifted to a philosophy of life.

/life story

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I was a brainwashed individual who grew up in a family of meat-lovers. Living here in Michigan, veg*ans aren't people you run into on the street everyday.

I ate meat, I was fine with it. I met a vegetarian, no big deal. I believe everyone makes their own choices and I never questioned a vegetarian about their choices.

My lack of curiosity is what surprises me the most. I was never ever curious about why veg*ans are the way they are. For whatever reason, I simply never even thought to ask.

I started getting active in animal rights, started to hear more about veg*anism, and then I got curious at the age of 18. I chose to go vegetarian November of 2005. I got in a fight with an omni who said if I really loved animals I'd go vegan. I knew I was allergic to diary at the time and it sounded like a challenge to me. My 2006 New Year's Resolution: Go Vegan. I did it. Cold tofurky. I'll never look back. I'll never be an omni again.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I always thought that slaughtering animals for meat was wrong, but what made me keep eating meat is this: "It is already dead, what can I do about it? Not eating it is just a waste." I actually (rather subconciously) looked up to vegetarians/vegans, because of the way they are willing to give up a part of their diet for what they believe. But I kept thinking, " It is already dead, so I cannot do anything about it." Then I realized that when I eat meat, I support the people that do it and cause more animals to be slaughtered. I was taunted by this whole "vegan" thing and thought it was impossible because I thought that all you could eat on a vegan diet is raw vegetables and fruit (kind of like a raw vegan diet, but with a very limited vareity of vegetables as opposed to an actual raw vegan diet). Then I realized, "What about meat analouges? And bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, beans, etc? I can still eat a lot of foods. I wanted to start on Ash Wednesday, but ended up starting in late January because I felt I could not wait that long.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
This is an awesome thread. I really liked reading everyone's story...

I had tinkered with vegetarianism (though that's not what I called it) since I was about 8. Would just go through long boughts where I would not eat meat. (My mom thought I was just being stubborn). Years later, at 17 as an light-omni (if you can say that) I started dating a guy who was fascinated by the fact that I had not had any pork, beef, lamb, seafood etc. in years (I very occasionally ate chicken) So he researched it and *instantly* went complete vegetarian. I still had my occasional chicken when one day he went vegan and asked that I join him. I went vegan. I was the happiest, healthiest, most emotionally balanced I'd ever been.

It was the best choice I'd ever made. The sheer knowledge I have about nutrition and cooking from that change has been invaluable. I went from knowing nothing about nutrition or cooking (and being a tad "fluffy"), to having a vast knowledge of where food comes from, what all those wierd ingredients are, and why I do not want to eat them... I don't really worry about my weight anymore either. It's a wonderful life

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.