VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any good ideas for beets? right now i'm just baking them in the oven and then adding butter and salt.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Shred and eat. Same with the greens.

Also, juice and drink. Same with the greens

Sometimes I wrap the shredded beet into nori sheets (the seaweed that is used to make sushi). Heaven!

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks oati...i KNEW you would know! i don't have to cook before i shred????? you can be in my "circle of crush" anyday (oops! wrong thread :p )

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
no cooking before you shred--they're really good that way!

also, simple beet soup: veggie broth, mint, corriander, boiled beets pureed. You can also add other spices if you'd like.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
That's right no cooking!

LOL - Beets are said to give you healthy BLOOD which I think we all will need in the circle of crush!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
I made a potato/beet salad once--really good! Just like traditional potato salad w/ mayo, mustard, chopped hard boiled eggs, and maybe some celery. I had to boil the beets longer than the taters, so do 'em separately. Eventually the mixture will turn all pink, and so will everything else it touches.

I also made a veggie tart w/ roasted vegetables, including beets. I love the flavors that are released when roasting veggies.

Anyone ever dyed w/ beets?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Justine

I made a potato/beet salad once--really good! Just like traditional potato salad w/ mayo, mustard, chopped hard boiled eggs, and maybe some celery. I had to boil the beets longer than the taters, so do 'em separately. Eventually the mixture will turn all pink, and so will everything else it touches.

I also made a veggie tart w/ roasted vegetables, including beets. I love the flavors that are released when roasting veggies.

Anyone ever dyed w/ beets?
you lost me on the hard boiled eggs but...it sounds good other wise. as for dying with beets....not intentionally

·
Registered
701 Posts
Beet salads are a big trend at restaurants in the new york metro area. One that looked really good to me was comprised of beets, radicchio, dried figs, walnuts, and roquefort cheese. I don't know if there is a soy version of roquefort... (something similar to gorgonzola or bleu would probably work just as well)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yummy, apple beet slaw.... shred a beet or two with a granny smith apple (or other tart apple). Add some rice vinegar and a little sugar (or vegan sweetner), refrigerate/marinate, and eat.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow! these all sound really good. and here i was just putting buttter and salt on the poor things...i feel i've wronged them somehow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts