VeggieBoards banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
83,681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who else loves beets?

Every so often I discover a food, get hooked on it, and eat it until I get sick of it. For a long time it was Snyder's of Hanover sourdough pretzel nibblers. Now it's beets. Ever since I discovered packages of precooked baby beets in Trader Joe's, I've been snorgling them down like crazy. I currently have two packages of them in the fridge. I usually slice them up and throw them cold into salads. I also eat them (still cold) as a side vegetable dish.

When I make a salad from the salad bar in the cafeteria at work, when they have sliced beets, I heap so many on that they stain the entire salad red.

Is there any other way I can eat them, or is that pretty much it?

I never bought beets before TJ's started carrying these baby beets because most beets I encountered came from a can, and I didn't like the taste of canned beets. I'll eat them now. I'm on a serious beet kick.

ETA: Oh, and my sister introduced me to the Golden Beet salad that can sometimes be found at the deli counter at the local Whole Foods. It's FANTASTIC.

· Registered
1,279 Posts
I LOVE beets.

I just cut them up, add some salt, pepper and olive oil and either toss them in the oven or on the grill. I think the goldens are my favorites, but I love 'em all. I also love beet greens. When I buy a bunch of beets, it's like two dishes in one!

However, I definitely do not love...

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Red beet poop. Very unsettling.[/SPOILER]

· Ankle Biter
18,427 Posts
I love roasted beets, and make them often. These are the best you'll ever have
:

Beets- however many will fill your baking dish when they are cut into 1"cubes
olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
maple syrup
salt & pepper

Peel and stem your beets. This is a "bloody" process, but the juice washes right out with water. Oil your baking dish, add your cubed beets, toss with plenty of oil. Mix with 1-2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar and similar maple syrup. They will be kind of gooey. Add plenty of salt and pepper. Bake at 350 for a long time - 45 minutes to 1 hour, maybe longer. You want the beets to be very dark. If they stick to the bottom, add a bit of water or oil, but keep baking. Stir a few times to ensure that they get roasted evenly.

These are delicious!

I like them pickled, too!

· Registered
325 Posts
I roast a couple of them at a time and then keep them in the fridge. Sometimes I'll just slice them up as a side dish, but mostly I like to add them to a salad or stir fry. If I'm adding them to a stir fry, I add them earlier if I want the color to permeate the whole dish, or just at the very end if I don't want the color. I got golden beets with my CSA share this past week and they were fabulous.

· Registered
12,617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

I LOVE beets.

However, I definitely do not love...

[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Red beet poop. Very unsettling.[/SPOILER]
[SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]So is beet pee.[/SPOILER]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I love roasted beets, and make them often. These are the best you'll ever have
:

Beets- however many will fill your baking dish when they are cut into 1"cubes
olive oil
Balsamic vinegar
maple syrup
salt & pepper

Peel and stem your beets. This is a "bloody" process, but the juice washes right out with water. Oil your baking dish, add your cubed beets, toss with plenty of oil. Mix with 1-2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar and similar maple syrup. They will be kind of gooey. Add plenty of salt and pepper. Bake at 350 for a long time - 45 minutes to 1 hour, maybe longer. You want the beets to be very dark. If they stick to the bottom, add a bit of water or oil, but keep baking. Stir a few times to ensure that they get roasted evenly.

These are delicious!!
^Poppy knows what she's talking about! This is the method I use as well after she suggested it to me last year. They taste simply amazing!

I really wish beets were in season now. I miss them
. I've never had golden beets either or have even seen them in stores

· Registered
3,431 Posts
beets turn my urine a funky color...enough to make me wonder what's going on, then have to think about what I've eaten!

I love beets, there's a recipe for roasted beets added to orange sections with a citrus dressing that sounds really good in the VT summer Farmer's Market issue.

· Registered
3,431 Posts
how in the world are they in season, when people just started planting a few weeks ago?

· Registered
3,431 Posts
even if they got them in the ground in early May, I don't see how they are big enough yet to harvest. I don't know, other than I get beets in Aug and sept here in NY!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.