VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ok

I am 17 years old and i have been vego for almost a year now. However i was really verging on vego for years. I have recently been thinking about becoming vegan. BUt i DONT KNOW where to start aside from the obvious (dairy products, eggs) what are animal based products hidden in? what are they called? and how do i read the label when it doesnt actually say (dairy products)

does anyone have some sort of list of products(shopping list also) - mainly in australia that shows products that use animals. Cosmetics, food etc?

How do i find out which shampoos and cosmetics test on animals?

Thankssss

cheers

·
Registered
684 Posts
Basically, if you don't know what an ingredient is, assume it's from an animal. That's what I do. The only way to really learn is by reading the labels... Over time it'll get easier.

Cosmetics, shampoos, etc: leapingbunny.com

·
Registered
685 Posts
The most common milk ingredient I see that doesn't shout *MILK!* is whey, or some variation thereof.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have also just turned vegan. Good luck!

The way I've started is to try to make a lot of things myself. Cakes, biscuits, bread, etc. None of it is very difficult and it's useful to know how to prepare it anyway.

For cosmetics and other things, I'd suggest bringing a pen and paper to the shop and checking all the ingredients against a list at home. I know that's what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Don't try to do it all at once. It's been said over and over on these boards. Veganism is a journey. You get there one step at a time.

There will ALWAYS be something you can't avoid 100% in your lifestyle - even the cars we drive and the computers we use caused animal suffering at some point in their production. You do the best that you know, and the best that you are able.

That said; There are literally hundreds of websites devoted to "what is vegan" in food, cosmetic, and household cleaner ingredients. Make a list if you need.

As others have said - the most common ingredients (at least here in the US) seem to be geletin, casien and whey. There are many other trace ingredients as well, it takes TIME though, and a familiarity with reading labels and recognising things... take it one step at a time.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
some random ones off the top of my head:

most glycerides, glycerine,

gelatin

whey

"stear"ate

shellac

resinous glaze

honey

royal jelly

rennet

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wowow thanks guys

alot of help

i think i will start trying on my birhday in two days- i think its a good birthday presant dont you - slowly

maybe ill have a trial period. Dont you find it really hard when say you go to someones house for dinner and they cook you dinner - or if you go out to dinner - there would be sooooooooooooo many products that contain something not vegan..... hmmmm

thankss!

·
Administrator
19,873 Posts
I usually suggest people start slowly. Eat vegan one day the first week, two days the second week, three days the third week, and so on.

Most importantly don't beat yourself up if you discover you've been eating something non-vegan. It's not about being perfect, it's about doing the best you can. Just learn from it and move on.

And if you're going to someone's house for dinner, the holidays, etc. the best thing to do is to offer to bring a dish. It's polite and that way you can be sure there will be something for you to eat.

Welcome to VB and good luck!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Okay I have been vegatarian almost a year and almost vegan since the start of 2007.. i still have milk thats my only downfall..

Check out this website for Australia...

www.naturesorganics.com.au I found it to be FANTASTIC..

Im using there cleaning products soaps and shampoo and conditioner..

Its been great and so cheap... Im wrapped there are these products..

Good Luck...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ahh thanks michael - greatttttt idea!!!!

and vegihead - i went to the website and i ammm sooo happy becasue i recognised at least half those products from around the house that my parents already buy!!!! yay and i have used that shampoo (mainly started using it becasue its cheap)!!!

wow

thanks guys

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok

dude

i have a downfall - i am vego but i still eat fish - and the more and mor i think about veganism the more i really want to do it - but i dont understand why i can still eat fish(personally) i love it!!!!! an i know if i become vegan then i have to stop eating it - and i love prawns!!!!! - hmm - i dont know what to do - and fish is actually veryyyyyy veryyyyy healthy - unlike meat.

i cant give up my salmon - but i want to

if that makes any sense

thanks guys

·
Registered
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliya View Post

ok

dude

i have a downfall - i am vego but i still eat fish - and the more and mor i think about veganism the more i really want to do it - but i dont understand why i can still eat fish(personally) i love it!!!!! an i know if i become vegan then i have to stop eating it - and i love prawns!!!!! - hmm - i dont know what to do - and fish is actually veryyyyyy veryyyyy healthy - unlike meat.

i cant give up my salmon - but i want to

if that makes any sense

thanks guys
Hey now. For one, who wants to have smelly kipper breath!!!!?!!!!! Bleurgh!

I`m guessing that we all made our sacrifices when we chose to become vegan. All of my favourite foods involved cheese, not to mention Nutella - which I used to eat by the gallon!!! *remembers the nutty-chocolatey taste fondly* BUT!,.... I would rather miss out on a few tasty delights than be a factor in an animals suffering. Y`know? Trust me, it`s worth giving up that stuff - you do have a sense of feeling kinda `glowy` knowing that you`re not harming a soul.

Good luck!!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have stoped consuming marine life since then - not nearly as hard as i thought it would be!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts