VeggieBoards banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've been thinking about becoming a vegetarian for months now and finally decided today is the day! I've already started eating quorn mince and fillets. The only meat I have been eating in the last few months is some frozen, processed chicken in fajitas. After doing a bit of reading on the internet I've realised that there are quite a few foods (such as sweets) that contain meat in of some sort. What ingredients should I be looking to avoid on the labels? Is there a list somewhere with which foods are not vegetarian?

My husband isn't very supportive of this. Is there anything I can do to help him understand?

Cookie xx

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie88 View Post

Hello,

I've been thinking about becoming a vegetarian for months now and finally decided today is the day! I've already started eating quorn mince and fillets. The only meat I have been eating in the last few months is some frozen, processed chicken in fajitas. After doing a bit of reading on the internet I've realised that there are quite a few foods (such as sweets) that contain meat in of some sort. What ingredients should I be looking to avoid on the labels? Is there a list somewhere with which foods are not vegetarian?

My husband isn't very supportive of this. Is there anything I can do to help him understand?

Cookie xx
Chicken is a meat, so you're going to want to avoid that. You might look in the produce aisle or your local Farmer's Market(s) for fresh produce. There's recipes here on Veggieboards, along with vegweb. I know there are a lot of blogs about veg*anism, as well. Also, check out books from your local library. 641 is the cookbook section, and they'll have a lot of Vegetarian/vegan/ etc cookbooks. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Quote:

Hello,

Cookie xx
Congrats on going veg! Too bad about your husband being unsupportive. I think in the beginning it will help him to adjust if his lifestyle doesn't change too much. I guess what that means for you is making sure he still has access to whatever he wants to eat. Who does the cooking in your family? If it's him, that's great - he can continue to cook whatever he wants for himself while you eat veg side dishes or prepare your own meals. If you do most of the cooking, then I would recommend either of the following, depending upon your own comfort level. 1)continue to prepare meat for him, and something else for yourself (obviously only if you're comfortable doing so). 2) and this one is by far my favorite - start to work some hearty veg meals in. You can even start with some things that are already vegetarian. Most people already eat lots of veg meals and don't even realize it. For example - maybe you make a lasagna or spaghetti without meat, or some kind of casserole, or bean chili. If none of these, then check out veg cookbooks and the recipe forum here for good veg meals that will also satisfy omnivores.

I would probably avoid meat substitutes for the time being, since they don't much taste like meat and your husband, as long as he continues to eat meat, probably won't like them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
15 Posts
What I did for my family to help them understand is show them this speech:

It's 70 minutes long and is quite intense. However, I think 70 minutes of someones time to understand why you believe what you do is not much of a sacrafice at all. The information is also very accurate and even already being vegetarian at the time I did learn a few things myself from this video.

As far as a list I'm sure someone else can help with this as I don't personally use a list or have a good source that I know of.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:

What ingredients should I be looking to avoid on the labels?
It's the food additives & stuff like gelatin & rennet (if it doesn't specifically say non-animal, it's most likely not ok) you have to watch out for. This seems like a pretty good list of sneaky stuff - http://www.veggieglobal.com/nutritio...-additives.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by a7dk View Post

I would probably avoid meat substitutes for the time being, since they don't much taste like meat and your husband, as long as he continues to eat meat, probably won't like them.
The quorn southern style "chicken" patties are actually pretty close. They're the closest of any of the meat imitations I've tried anyway.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
when it comes to meat substitute experiment with veggie burgers. they seem to be the closest to meat taste. were really helping me in the beginning

as for your husband i hope he will get used to it. right now just tell him that it is none of his business what you want or don't want to eat. well, maybe in a nicer way

·
Registered
71 Posts
My dad is a strict meatarian
and still loves veggie lasagna and shepherds pie ... try something big and hearty

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Foods to watch out for:

Gelatin
Rennet
Milk solids (SOMETIMES contains rennet)
Whey or whey powder (also sometimes contains rennet)
Isinglass (made from fish)
Glycerine or glycerol (Sometimes made from animal fat)
Stearic acid (in the US it is made from tallow)

I have also heard flavor enhancers E626-E635 and E471 but I'm not sure exactly what they're made of.

Also E621 is MSG. Acceptable in a vegetarian diet, but should probably be avoided anyway.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Congrats on your decision, there are some great lists floating around th boards, and in stickys.

My hubs is also an omni, but is "mostly" supportive. What has worked for us may, or may not work for you.
I am the cook of the house, and always have been, so 2-3 nights a week I make him meat dishes, I eat sides or meat subs, or cook the meat on the side. Then I incorporate new and familiar veggie meals.

Dishes you can easily cook the meat on the side: pasta, fajitas/ tacos, and you could easily make veggie dishes and either you or he can cook the meat separate.

Dishes he prefers veg and doesn't "miss the meat" ( or notice it isn't there): enchiladas, shepherds pie, most pastas.. I know I am forgetting some *smile*

For "meat" I tend to add mushrooms or potatoes more often than subs. He does like the gardien beefless tips, quorn nuggets, and morningstar farms black bean chipotle burgers, he thought the quorn fillet was "not bad" and used to like gardien "chicken" tenders, now thinks they are "wheaty".
Both of us like the flavor of field day sausages, but don't think they have the texture of meat at all, same with seitan.

I do have my blog with recipes and his reviews, granted I do include the meat dishes I cook for him too, but you can easily not view those by selecting "vegetarian" or "vegan" from the labels tab

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruity101 View Post

I Believe you can ea fish, because fish is not meat it is fish
I don't think you'll find many supporters for that argument around here.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leth View Post

I don't think you'll find many supporters for that argument around here.
I'm still waiting for my fish seeds to sprout. I water them every day...

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruity101 View Post

I Believe you can ea fish, because fish is not meat it is fish
Fish are animals, animals are made of meat

I will never understand why some people think an animal that lives in water somehow doesn't count. Show me fish that grow on trees and then we'll talk.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts