VeggieBoards banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously. In this article, "The sheep butchering competition in the pageant is a very controversial one. Some think that the practice is a private one and should not be used in a competition. But I feel it is important that the young women know how to butcher a sheep if they win Miss Navajo. Its an important part of our culture, but also know its not the ONLY part of who we are. Its one of many skills a young woman should know." You can read for yourself:

http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/m.../makingof.html

·
Banned
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Meh, I think beauty pageants are horrible and disgusting all around. I see nothing good about them whatsoever.
Agreed, they're pretty much like glorified cattle auctions as is, and as much as I don't like that analogy that's the only one I can think of that fits how I feel about them. But a friend I talked to on the phone mentioned seeing this on TV, and I never thought I would hear of this of all things as part of a pageant!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
As the descendant of Native Americans....I say...screw barbaric Native American traditions. It's 2011. This is vile and unnecessary for any modern person.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

As the descendant of Native Americans....I say...screw barbaric Native American traditions. It's 2011. This is vile and unnecessary for any modern person.
And yet how is a beauty pagent a traditional Navajo ritual?

·
Banned
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm partially descended from Native Americans also, and this doesn't resonate well with what much of Native American culture was like. Beauty pageants hardly show any reverence for women in general, so there's no way that a slaughtering competition as part of one could even pretend to start to show any reverence for life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts