VeggieBoards banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, eggplant is one of the most delicious vegetables. You can grill it with a small amount of olive oil and it comes out so rich, creamy and savory!

My usual ways of preparing eggplant are ratatouille, roast vegetables and eggplant parmigiana. I don't know how to make babaganoush, but I'd love to learn.

Any babaganoush recipes available? Please post!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Here's how I make baba ganoush:

Mmm... eggplant. I'm going to the farmer's market Saturday so I will have to buy one.

Baba ganouj: Take a whole eggplant (I usually use big ones, so if you're using small ones you might want two or three), wash it, stab it a couple of times, and put it in a hot (400 degrees or so) oven (or even on a barbecue) for 1/2 hr to 45 minutes, or until it collapses and is quite soft. Set it aside until it's cool enough to touch. Scrape the insides into a bowl and add: 1 clove (or more) minced garlic, 2 tbsp. tahini, 2 tbsp. olive oil, 2 tbsp. lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, and a bunch of chopped mint (gourmets will disagree, but when mint's not in season, I think dried is fine). Mash it all together, taste it and see if you want more of anything, then refrigerate it awhile to let the flavours mix.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Wow! I've never had baba ganoush. But I love eggplant, so I'll have to try it! Can I ask a dumb question, though? Do I need to peel the eggplant before I cook it?

And when I scoop out the insides, do I just discard the peel (provided I haven't already peeled it
)? And serve it cold?

I'm looking forward to this!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
hopi100 -- you definitely don't need to peel it before you cook it. It keeps the insides moist while the eggplant's cooking. As to the peel, I just discard it.

I usually serve it cold, but warm-ish is fine too. (If you're not too health-conscious, it's an excellent dip for french fries. Whenever I host a party, I fire up my deep fryer and make tons of french fries from scratch. It's totally cheap and people are really impressed that they're homemade.)

·
Registered
807 Posts
Wonderful! Thank you so much!
I'll be making this very, very soon....
And the french-fry dip idea sounds great too!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dear CookingVeg, thanks from me too. What a great recipe -- easy as pie, and the eggplant comes out so velvety when you cook it whole like that. Yum!!! I'll be serving this alongside my own famous hummus (regular and extra-spicy) for the rest of the summer.

As for the french fry idea. . . sounds good. TOO good! My lips would love it, but my hips would never forgive me.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I made some today! I like to add stuff though! So I put in quite a bit of parsley, part of a tomato, red pepper flakes, extra garlic. Yummy!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A note for hopi100 -- on second thought, don't discard the eggplant peel. After scraping the meat out, why not use it to add color to your next batch of vegetable broth?

I use all my veggie ends -- carrot tops, icky-looking outside celery stalks, onion peels, potato peels, pepper cores, stringbean ends, etc., to make vegatable stock. Roasted eggplant skin would probably add a rich dark color, as well as flavor, to the soup stock. I intend to try this myself; why don't you give it a try too?

best,

BeanLady

1 - 10 of 10 Posts