VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my bf texted me and said that bear grylls ( The hunk from man vs wild) is a veg*n when hes not filming his show. He only kills and eats animals for " survival purposes". Now i realize that this doesnt make him a veg you cant be a veg if you eat meat sometimes but still eating meat only a few times a year makes a HUGE difference and the animals that He does eat dont come from factory farms. And alot of times he doesnt kl animals he eats dead leftovers. Im not neccasarily defending the guy here because if your a veg than you dont eat meat but thats pretty cool that somebody that does a survival show is a veg in everyday normal life. How do you guys feel about this.
And let me say this again so i dont get yelled at. I know if you eat meat sometimes you are not a veg*n that would make you semiveg. But i still think its noce when celebrity type people choose not to eat meat ( most of the time)

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
It's great that he doesn't eat meat when not filming his show.

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
That's a million times better than eating factory farmed burgers every day.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Honestly I don't see a problem with that, as his show is supposed to be a "survival" situation where maintaining a veg*n lifestyle wouldn't be possible without potentially starving to death.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krispex22 View Post

but still eating meat only a few times a year makes a HUGE difference
Yeah, it makes a HUGE difference to the animals he's killing and eating.

I don't have a problem with eating carrion, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty_scholar View Post

Honestly I don't see a problem with that, as his show is supposed to be a "survival" situation where maintaining a veg*n lifestyle wouldn't be possible without potentially starving to death.
but that's something I'd actually watch. I'd love to see someone actually using advanced skills to forage for mushrooms, roots and tubers, and distinguish between poisonous and safe berries.

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
his real name is daniel or something but his younger sibling used to call him teddy so thats how they got bear, or so i read on the internet

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

Yeah, it makes a HUGE difference to the animals he's killing and eating.

I don't have a problem with eating carrion, though.

but that's something I'd actually watch. I'd love to see someone actually using advanced skills to forage for mushrooms, roots and tubers, and distinguish between poisonous and safe berries.
he does kill animals sometimes but alot of times he eats scraps that are leftover. the one episode he was somewhere where there were lions and jaguars and all kinds of predators and he found a zebra carcass and he ate that. and there was one where there was a dead camel in the dessert and i think he ate that to so he doesnt always kill animals. and alot of times he does eat berries and foliage

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Like that Sue lady who is a vegetarian when she isn't filming Supersizers and gleefully eating buckets of dead ducklings...

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
Every omnivore I know of is a "semi-vegetarian" in that they are not always eating meat, but can eat vegetarian foods (corn, bread, peas, whatever) also.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
If he actually gave a crap, why would he optionally do a survival show where he has to eat animals? Its not like he REALLY has to survive, hes optionally putting himself into the situation. no brownie points from me.

·
Registered
10,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by disney.jessica View Post

Cool

It's actually Mister Bear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispex22 View Post

his real name is daniel or something but his younger sibling used to call him teddy so thats how they got bear, or so i read on the internet
Oh ok that makes sense.

I've never watched this show but I find these "survival" shows really weird because you know the camera crew are heading over to McDonalds or somewhere on their breaks while the "survivor" person is chomping away on leaves or maggot infested carcasses to "survive".

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

If he actually gave a crap, why would he optionally do a survival show where he has to eat animals? Its not like he REALLY has to survive, hes optionally putting himself into the situation. no brownie points from me.
+ 1

·
Registered
315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

If he actually gave a crap
He eats crap and washes it down with a glass of his own urine. Well i once saw him drink fluids that he squished from elephant dung so that's almost the same like eating crap right.

OT. I always thought/felt that these survival guys (Grylls, Stroud and Mears and more but i don't know their names) do have a deep respect for nature and all living creatures but i could be dead wrong though. I read somewhere that Grylls brought in some tame rabbits that he could then kill on the show pretending them to be wild
(don't know if that's true though)

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
He also has a stomach made out of steel.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts