VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I used to looooveee beans and rice. And I used the goya mix. but you know what? thye put HAM FLAVORING in it. I'm so disappointed, and my mom bought me a big bag of dried beans and lots of rice. And I followed the recipe on the back, but it didnt taste as good. Anyone know what spices they put in red beans and rice?

Also, I've noticed sometimes it tastes like bacon, which i reeeallllly don't like.

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Ewwwww. I didn't realize about the ham flavoring in the goya mix. Why do people think that ham/bacon and beans go well together? I think they're really gross that way, but it's a Southern thing which is

But let's see......spices.......hmmmmm.....I know there's cayenne in there, black pepper, paprika, thyme, garlic, oregano... Some put bay leaf in it (remove it before serving), but I'm not keen on bay leaf, so I leave it out. There's also worcheschire sauce in there, too but some people have a real problem with that so you might want to either omit that or find a veg version and use that. If you have a "cajun seasoning" mix, you could certainly use that as I think it has all the spices I named + a few extra (I'm not sure though; I'm out of cajun right now). Since you're doing a "Corri conversion" use what you like.

For the rice, I like to spice my water as well. Just a few drops of tobasco or chili oil is nice. Lemon pepper works as well. The idea is that whatever your water is like, that will be what your rice is like also. I like my rice a tad on the spicy side but some don't.

There's a recipe on veg web at http://www.vegweb.com/food/beans/beans13.shtml that you could use for a guide. The only part I have problem with is the "leave on the stove for 8 hours" instruction but the rest is decent. It also calls for veg bacon or vegham or smoked tofu. Since you're not keen on bacon (neither am I), I would say "leave it out". If you do like bacon, fry up some vegbacon and use as garnish.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are a couple of recipes for beans & rice which I make regularly and go over well with non-vegetarians...

CUBAN BEANS & RICE

from "Vegetarian Cooking for Dummies"

Quote:
This recipe can be served over rice as an entree or, thinned with vegetable broth, it can double as black bean soup. This flavorful, hearty dish goes well with a green salad and Fried Plantains (see Chapter 16).

Preparation time: 15 minutes

Cooking time: 50 minutes

Yield: 8 servings

1/4 cup olive oil

1 large onion, chopped

1 green bell pepper, chopped

2 stalks celery, including green leaves, chopped

4 garlic cloves, minced

4 cups (two 20-ounce cans) black beans, drained and rinsed (or 2 cups dried black beans, soaked or cooked in a pressure cooker)

2 teaspoons salt, or to taste

1 bay leaf

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1/4 teaspoon oregano

2 tablespoons lemon juice

1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Cook the onions, green bell peppers, celery, and garlic in the oil over medium heat until the onions are translucent (about 10 minutes).

2. Add the beans, salt, bay leaf, cumin, oregano, and lemon juice and stir well to combine.

3. Cover and simmer for another 35 or 40 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Remove the bay leaf and serve over rice.

Per serving: Calories 195 (From Fat 63); Fat 7g (Saturated 1g); Cholersterol 0mg; Sodium 593mg; Carbohydrate 25g (Dietary Fiber 9g); Protein 8g.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
CREOLE RED BEANS AND RICE

from "Vegetarian Cooking for Dummies"

Quote:
This dish is a traditional in states such as Louisiana, where seasoned beans and rice are a favorite among people of mixed French, Spanish, and African descent. If you make the rice ahead of time, this dish takes very little time to prepare. Toss a salad and steam some broccoli or greens, and dinner's ready.

Preparation time: 10 minutes

Cooking time: 15 minutes

Yield: 8 servings

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 large onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper

1 stalk celery, with leaves, chopped

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cumin

1 tablespoon chili powder

1/2 teaspoon thyme

Two 15-ounce cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (about 3 cups)

4 1/2 cups cooked rice

Fresh parsley for garnish

1. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Cook the onions, garlic, green bell pepper, and celery in the oil over medium heat until the onions are translucent, about 7 minutes. Add the salt, cumin, chili powder, and thyme and stir to combine.

2. Add the beans and mix well. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking for several minutes until the beans are hot, stirring frequently to prevent sticking.

3. Add the rice to the bean mixture and mix all the ingredients together well. Cook for about 5 minutes to heat the rice through before serving. Garnish with sprigs of parsley.

Per serving: Calories 266 (From Fat 54); Fat 6g (Saturated 1g); Cholersterol 0mg; Sodium 164mg; Carbohydrate 45g (Dietary Fiber 7g); Protein 9g.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts