VeggieBoards banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to make a Veggie Bean soup that is Not thick so when I get sick I can have some instead of a can of soup. I really don't want to fry this and that in olive oil. would it be better just to make the soup and then when you get ready to eat it put a tablespoon of olive oil in it. Anyway I'm 68 years old and it I don't start eating right I'm not going to make 69. I'm too depressed to cook so I figure I cook or I die. I'm cleaning out my kitchen and I'm going to start eating right starting with making a bean veggie soup and I'm a lousy cook. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I would like to make a Veggie Bean soup that is Not thick so when I get sick I can have some instead of a can of soup. I really don't want to fry this and that in olive oil. would it be better just to make the soup and then when you get ready to eat it put a tablespoon of olive oil in it. Anyway I'm 68 years old and it I don't start eating right I'm not going to make 69. I'm too depressed to cook so I figure I cook or I die. I'm cleaning out my kitchen and I'm going to start eating right starting with making a bean veggie soup and I'm a lousy cook. Any advice would be appreciated.
I'd get a slow cooker/crock pot.

Chop everything and put it in, turn it on and serve when the time is up. Easy. Then store in your fridge for around five days.

You don't need to add oil, unless you want to for flavour. In which case go right ahead and drizzle it over the top of your bowl of soup (I do this with minestrone).

If you don't want it thick, just add more water or stock till it's the consistency you like.

·
Super Moderator
8,957 Posts
I don't use any oil in my soups.

Have you ever tried Tabatchinik frozen soups? I haven't had any in years, but I do remember how good they are, and the ones labled "parve" are mostly vegan. They have a good black bean, and the mushroom barley , and i think a cabbage soup

If you just boil like 4 cups water and simmer shredded carrots, some onion, shredded potato, celery and add whatever herbs you want it to taste like- like cumin and red pepper for a spicey bean soup, sage and thyme for a milder, kinda chik'ny soup taste then drain and rinse a can of beans and add to the broth. You can add chunkier veggies to the shreds if you like

Heres' a great split pea recipe-
http://tofu-n-sproutz.blogspot.com/search?q=split+pea+soup

I hope you start feeling better! Have you tried starting your day with smoothies?

·
Registered
12,079 Posts
:hug:

If you need something really easy, you can buy prepared veggie broth and add chopped veggies to it. You can add crushed tomatoes if you like a tomato based soup. Take it one step further and buy a bag of mixed vegetables so there's no chopping involved. You can also buy fresh chopped vegetables in the produce sections of your local store but it's more expensive. If you are up to it you can make some rice or small shaped pasta to add to it.

Oops...I missed the beans! I use canned when I'm too rushed to soak dry ones.

I'm sorry you are feeling so down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts