Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We do a lot of talking about Birth Control on this board, but I can't seem to find a poll about it, so here we go! What is your method (or was, if you are no longer actively preventing pregnancy?) The poll will be multiple choice to allow people to select more than one method (because I really believe everyone should use at least two methods anyway!) You can also select multiple methods if you've changed from one method to another.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
I only picked my current one for the poll.

But I've used:

All different kinds of the Pill

The Shot (depoprovera)

The Patch (Ortho Evra)

The Ring (NuvaRing)

now, the IUD (Paragard)

ETA: and condoms, of course.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
I use condoms if the person hasn't confirmed negative test results with me (and me with them). Or of course, I feel I don't know them well enough to trust that they are monogomous, or we haven't agreed on that (which is an unlikely scenario for me).

I always use the pill. If I have reason to think my pill isn't currently effective, I use a condom and/or a spermicidal agent even though they make me itch.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I also use the depo-provera shot and was surprised to not see it on the list. Oh well. I've been on it for two years now and I have gained around 15lbs during the first year (mostly in my hips, which my honey doesn't seem to complain about) but I have steadied out now. It has also slightly increased my depression. But not getting pregnant, not having a period (which mine used to be unbearable), and only having to worry about getting the shot once every three months is well worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
We've been using bcp, but are getting ready to do some experimentation

I'm leaning toward the diaphragm because it's non-hormonal, and isn't too intrusive. The biggest concerns I've so far, are finding a non-latex version (owie!), and worrying about it being dislodged during well, you know.

For people who use spermicides, are you able to find a vegan variety, or one that's not animal tested? I tried Googling, but mostly got results of people asking this same question on other message boards, heh.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
It's been years since I had the spermicidal foam. It was neat. It had this little injector thing. You put it on the end of the can and pushed down, and it'd fill the injector syringe thing full of the foam. Then you put it in your 'giner and "injected" the foam up in there. I'm not sure if it was vegan, though. Obviously medically tested, but i'm not sure about the ingredients themselves.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Alana View Post

It's been years since I had the spermicidal foam. It was neat. It had this little injector thing. You put it on the end of the can and pushed down, and it'd fill the injector syringe thing full of the foam. Then you put it in your 'giner and "injected" the foam up in there. I'm not sure if it was vegan, though. Obviously medically tested, but i'm not sure about the ingredients themselves.
I remember as teens, my friends and I like to fill up the applicator just for fun because you press the button and whooosh! it just shoots up full of foam.

·
Banned
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

We've been using bcp, but are getting ready to do some experimentation

I'm leaning toward the diaphragm because it's non-hormonal, and isn't too intrusive. The biggest concerns I've so far, are finding a non-latex version (owie!), and worrying about it being dislodged during well, you know.

For people who use spermicides, are you able to find a vegan variety, or one that's not animal tested? I tried Googling, but mostly got results of people asking this same question on other message boards, heh.
Jen, I used a diaphragm for a while (instead of condoms and in combination with BCP) and it never got even close to dislodged during "you know" ;-) But it DID interfere with hubbie's enjoyment, so that got thrown out. But give it a try, you might have better luck!!!

To everyone on the patch/depro/etc, sorry I didn't list them, I got nervous about filling out the form fast enough (you only get a couple minutes and then you can't add it!) I meant to say "hormonal birth control", not just the pill.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bstutzma View Post

Jen, I used a diaphragm for a while (instead of condoms and in combination with BCP) and it never got even close to dislodged during "you know" ;-) But it DID interfere with hubbie's enjoyment, so that got thrown out. But give it a try, you might have better luck!!!
I had an issue with the ring kind of like that. My vagina is kind of shallow, so the ring would always be "right there" at the opening. When we'd have sex, if I left it in, he'd jam it up higher, then it'd get caught on his head and he'd yank it out. It was terrible. So for the time we'd have sex, I'd have to take the ring out and put it back in immediately afterwards.

I liken the Patch to a big bandaid. You know how when you were a kid, and you'd have a bandaid on for a while, then when you took it off, you'd have that bandaid outline that was all sticky and dirty? It was exactly the same. Except in a big square. On my ass.

And when they say it stays put, BS! The edges started to peel and stick to my clothes. That's especially hard to deal with when it's on your upper butt cheek and would stick to the waistband of your pants. Then they say if it starts to peel, take it off and put a new one on. Well, unless you want to go through a bunch of extra prescriptions (which most insurances won't cover if it's before your due date for another prescription) you're kind of screwed.

Anyhoo, I digress... YAY for birth control!

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
i use FAM to determine fertility, and if we have sex during the fertile period, we use condoms (male). we use non-latex, no-spermicide condoms.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.