VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any ideas or recipes for cooking vegan food on the bbq?

we might finally get one now that we have a back yard, and i'm wondering how i'd go about doing tofu "steaks" or something.

any ideas would be welcome.

i already plan to go nuts with kebobs and store bought veggie dogs and veggieburgers. yumm

·
Registered
0 Posts
For grilling portobellos, baste them well with garlic infused olive oil (it'll soak right in).

Grill 4 mins. on each side, preferably over in-direct med. heat. If you don't have indirect, use low heat. Salt and pepper. We like them sliced on an angle served on angel hair pasta that's been tossed with diced fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic and olive oil. We also sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

Also, grill gill side down (gills removed) 4 mins. then remove and fill with: steamed, fresh spinach (squeezed dry) tossed with toasted pine nuts, feta cheese and garlic salt. Put back on grill for additional 4 mins.

For corn on the cob. Take a piece of heavy-duty foil, place a paper towel on it and fold all edges of foil over it to secure. Pour 1/4 cup of water over towel. Wrap corn up securing ends. Cook on grill over medium flame 20 mins.

Cut up fresh veggies of choice into chunks as if for kabob. Place in large bowl, add plenty of garlic infused olive oil, toss and let sit for awhile. Then stir-fry in the previously mentioned grill designed pan over low to med flame (have to watch and adjust flame as necessary). Only takes about 10 mins, depending on veggies used. If you want to use carrots, broc, etc., you'll need to par cook slightly. We like onion, bell peppers, mushrooms, zucchini as staples, then add whatever else I have on hand or have a desire for. OH, almost forgot!

Add cubed extra-firm tofu. Or tempeh if that's what you prefer.

Grilling veggies cut in large, length-wise slices or halves or whole works great too. Be brave, have fun with it. There is so much you can do. Enjoy that grill!

PS: Don't spray pam directly in bbq as a baster unless you need a trim--poof!

******The above was in my PT on a different board from VEGLUV!!*******

(I thought everyone should enjoy her information.
)

·
Registered
0 Posts
mmm.. since my family is omni, and I don't want my 'shrooms touch the grill when they're cooking meat. I usually slice up some onions, brush them with olive oil, take a portabello mushroom, remove the gills, and brush that with olive oil. Then I take a special Fajita seasoning (from texas. If you want to try and duplicate it, it contains Salt, MSG, Garlic, and Onion powder) and wrap it in foil with onions under, and on top of the mushroom. Then I grill it until the mushroom is tender... Mmmm..

Also, after I cleaned the grill like crazy I BBQed myself. I brushed olive oil on zucchini, and put more seasoning on it (I LOVE this seasoning) and grilled it right on the grill. I made it as tender as I could. It tasted sooo good... mmm..

·
Registered
0 Posts
once the warm weather is here I start grilling the tofu rather than baking. Usually marinate in fresh ginger, fresh garlic, good quality soy sauce, sesame oil mirin or sherry, dash of brown rice vinegar and some sesame seeds.

Dont forget to spray your grill- or use one of those "bbq baskets"

·
Registered
0 Posts
wait I almost forgot grilled pizza!Make or buy fresh pizza dough- divide into small round pizzas (4-5inches) have your toppings ready, I use spinach, marinated artichokes, fresh tomatoes whatever.

get the grill piping hot , oil it and then throw the pizzas on- dont leave the grill they cook really fast! Flip cook both sides ONce you put toppings on the heat would need to be lowered.

This is great for anyone that loves CRISPY crust- not b/c it burns it justs gets crispy.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol i was thinkin that too.

fafa, you can get small portable charcoal grills for like 5 or 10 bucks. i bought one at a dollar store once for my bf cause at our apartment at the time we couldn't have a full sized bbq on the balcony. he left it on the balcony over winter and it rusted and got thrown out, but oh well it was a good idea at the time. when the guys get their bbq i'm thinking i'll either buy an extra grill for it so we can swap them when it's time to cook my stuff, or i'll get one of those cheap-o charcoal jobbies just for me. and i won't leave it outside

some yummy sounding ideas here guys, keep 'em coming

·
Registered
0 Posts
I just have to second that if you like fresh corn in the summer (I'm a big fan) grilled corn on the cob is amazing. You can even grill it right in the husk. Just place the entire husk on the rack right above the coals and grill, turning periodically, until the entire husk has turned black. It takes considerably longer this way, but it's really delicious. You can also remove it from the husk and place the ears directly on the grill, which gives it a very different but very crisp and delicious quality.

·
Registered
0 Posts
we had two family bbq's w/ the inlaws this weekend, and here's some of the stuff i had:

- grilled corn on the cob (beforehand, soak in water. leave husks on when you grill, and it steams through and it's sooo good.)

- portabello mushroom burger (remove gills if you want, marinate in fresh garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and thyme). after grilling, put on bun of choice w/ toppings you like

- zucchini (brush w/ olive oil, garlic, s&p if you want) on skewers

- the old standby: veggie dogs

- baked potatoes (wrap 'em in foil first)

...now i'm hungry again!

·
Registered
507 Posts
I usually do it the other way around. I slice a big tomato in half, put it on foil sliced-end-up and put it on the grill. Then when I have it on the plate the inside is really soft and you can put salt and pepper (or whatever you like) on it and scoop the tomato mush out with a spoon, just make sure not to break the skin or you'll have soup on your plate

·
Registered
569 Posts
My favorite all time veggie on the grill is zuchini.

I take the biggest one I kind find, cut a slit in it length wise. Then, I stuff it with butter (soy) and then wrap it in foil and place on the grill. Once that baby is all squishy tender, I unwrap the foil and Voila!, it's done. I love it when the zuchini's juices mix with the butter....I add a bit of salt and pepper....man is she good!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Most of the charcoal briquets that are available in the U.S. (Kingsford and such) are made of compressed wood and chemicals, they aren't the bone type you're probably thinking of Keegan. Grill fearlessly!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts