VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never been able to make tofu before, I finally conquered it with this awesome recipe inspired from a local Burrito Bar. I don't have real measurements so just judge it yourself.

I took one box of extra firm pre-cubed tofu and hand pressed it, changing the paper towels out half way through and putting my giant jar of rice on top at the end.

Then I tossed the tofu in "chicken" bullion, minced garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper. (I bet it would be awesome if you added red pepper too but I didn't think of it until after)

Then I fried it in a little oil in a skillet on med-low heat until all sides were brown and crispy then stirred in some "zesty & sweet" bbq sauce.

It was heaven.

I ate it plain but it would be great in a burrito, on rice, or in a quesadilla!

Reactions: bbeckums

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Ooohh! Sounds good! Will definitely try. Love your pressing technique,by the way. I use a towel and the crock pot.

Something else I've tried that you may enjoy-freeze the tofu ( I just toss the entire unopened container in the freezer) , thaw and press. It does something to the texture and makes it more "meaty". After it's pressed, slice into fish stick size pieces, and press them into Zatarain's Cajun Fish Fry , lay the slices on a plate and put them back in the fridge for about an hour (makes the coating stick better). Fry 'em up in a bit of oil in your skillet, and-
"fish" sticks!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

Ooohh! Sounds good! Will definitely try. Love your pressing technique,by the way. I use a towel and the crock pot.

Something else I've tried that you may enjoy-freeze the tofu ( I just toss the entire unopened container in the freezer) , thaw and press. It does something to the texture and makes it more "meaty". After it's pressed, slice into fish stick size pieces, and press them into Zatarain's Cajun Fish Fry , lay the slices on a plate and put them back in the fridge for about an hour (makes the coating stick better). Fry 'em up in a bit of oil in your skillet, and-
"fish" sticks!
My husband likes to cut up tofu into little squares and roll them in Zatarain's fish fry and fry them up. Not good for ya, but it really helps me deal with the homesickness of being a Vegan from South Louisiana, lol.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatVegan1980 View Post

My husband likes to cut up tofu into little squares and roll them in Zatarain's fish fry and fry them up. Not good for ya, but it really helps me deal with the homesickness of being a Vegan from South Louisiana, lol.
I was born and raised in Arkansas, so I know very well about Louisiana fried catfish! Had lots of that back in the omni days, and it's one thing I do miss. This comes pretty close.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts