VeggieBoards banner

BBQ Season

2K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Purp 
#1 ·
Hey everyone!
So it has been getting very warm here and my boyfriend has been itching to organize a weekend BBQ.

Since we are both relatively new vegans (less than 6months) I am not too familiar with vegan BBQing.

I am already planning to grill veggies, which is always delicious. But I was wondering what else I could use? Would tofu work well?

Any ideas welcome.

See less See more
#3 ·
Grilled veggies are obviously a must; mushrooms, eggplant, courgette, peppers, corn on the cob, onions, etc. Then I tend to do some veggie burgers and sausages; I like the Linda McCartney sausages and Fry's or Redwood burgers. Make sure you're stocked up on condiments - vegan mayo, ketchup, mustard, brown sauce. Obviously, bread rolls are needed too. Then I usually do some salad bits, a potato salad/some baked potatoes, some fresh fruit, and a couple of really good desserts (cupcakes, cookies, or something more adventurous). With all that on offer, people don't tend to miss the meat!

And if they do, I suggest sticking them on the grill.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMiss View Post

lol!

I am not too familiar with 'fake meats' as it isn't something I have tried. I will check if any of the names you mentioned are available here.

Would I be able to make a veggie burger myself?
You can definitely make veggie burgers yourself! I just can never be bothered. You have two options for that; from scratch, or a packet mix. From scratch, there's a bunch of recipes on the internet. With packet mix, just follow the directions on the box. The packet stuff usually works a bit like stuffing; add water, shape and grill/fry. Dunno how well it'd work on a BBQ though, they may fall apart...

#7 ·
Veggie burgers are cheap, as are sausages.

Tofu is GREAT though. I cover it in jerk spice and stick it on the BBQ, goes down a treat even with non-vegans.

#11 ·
I like to Grill Zucchini, onions, Bell Peppers and Mushrooms. Then stuff them in some pita bread with stone ground mustard.

Oh I also like to take a Potato dice it up with a little bit of Red Onion. Put a little bit of Earth Balance on top of it and wrap it in tin foil. Through it on the grill. You really dont get the grill flavor with it wraped up so just open it up towards the end to take in some charcoal flavor.

I hope to see some more ideas posted in this thread... I am only 3months into being a vegertarian and really would like to see some more Veggie style grilling ideas.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisMTL View Post

pineapple and peaches!
Love to grill some Pineapple and Necterines.... Brush them down with a little bit of Amaretto before I throw them on the grill for a little extra flavor and they will carmelize great.

I need to find some of these Field Roast Sauages... The few mock sausages ived tryed were horrible.

#18 ·
#20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

I would not do tofu. But if I had to do tofu, I would slice it marinade it freeze it THEN grill it.
Yea this is a point. Freezing the tofu gives it a much better texture for this sort of thing.

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

I've had a lot of luck with tofu on the grill. I'll try freezing it next time, though, if that might make it turn out even better.

Should it be thawed, or just thrown on the grill frozen?
I'm not sure. I've always thawed it generally because it takes time for me to get from my flat to the BBQ site... works nicely that way though.

#23 ·
Experiment with making your own burgers and grill them. There are tons of recipes online for different burger ingredients such as lentil, black bean, fava, tvp, soy crumbles and even some nut or seed variety. It's a good excuse to use your grill all season, yet since all the burgers will taste different, you wont be bored having burgers all summer!

You can also experiment with different marinades for tofu and veggies and grill them, there are so many varieties you can do with BBQing that it's endless! Experiment, and have fun.

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbivorous B.I.G. View Post

I've had a lot of luck with tofu on the grill. I'll try freezing it next time, though, if that might make it turn out even better.

Should it be thawed, or just thrown on the grill frozen?
I haven't tried grilling it but when I've made frozen tofu I've thawed it, then pressed and marinated it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.