VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to a BBQ event this weekend...most people there I didn't know. The plan was to just eat what I could, and luckily there were a lot of non-meat sides. Question is, why do some meat eaters get so offended when they see you're not eating meat? A few people noticed I wasn't and had to ask me about it. One person was even rude about it trying to tell me that there's nothing wrong with eating meat. I often wonder if some people have some deep hidden guilt about eating it themselves? I certainly wasn't offended that they were eating meat.

·
Registered
596 Posts
It's a combination of guilt and seeing you as a party pooper i think. It's often the case that the more bbq's you go to the less you encounter that attitude. They get over it eventually.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think that people honestly feel that you not eating meat is an assault on their beliefs. Never mind that not eating meat is passive, and that you were minding your own business. Just the fact that you judge meat eating to be bad for you means that you are judging them as being bad in your eyes (never mind that you may not be.) If someone acted rude to me over it, I would tell them that they need to mind their own business. I would tell them to stop being so judgmental--turn it around on them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I replied to the rude person with a sarcastic, "Thanks for your 2 cents, anything else?" then walked away. It's just funny that they were looking at my plate. I didn't think to look at other people's plates. lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a friend who is 50 lbs. overweight, has numerous health problems, high cholesterol, etc. etc. His favorite food is pork. They bbq a lot, mostly ribs. He said something smart about my becoming a vegetarian, and I poked him in his really fat belly and said "How are those cholesterol pills working out for you?" He laughed, but you could tell it was a nervous laugh, because he knew he was wrong.

People get scared when they know you are right, and they are wrong, especially if it's staring them right in the face.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I agree with Fae and the others. When people see the way you eat and the choice you've made, it makes them take a look at their choices and they feel unsettled and defensive. Also, I once read that while we see meat as death, meat eaters see it as life and abundance. My dad was a retired butcher, so I grew up in a home where meat was the center of every meal and family celebration. When I made the switch five years ago, I felt a sense of loss for a few days and couldn't figure out why. I think it's because meat had come to represent more than just something to eat.
You just struck a few nerves, that's all.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallyomally View Post

I agree with Fae and the others. When people see the way you eat and the choice you've made, it makes them take a look at their choices and they feel unsettled and defensive. Also, I once read that while we see meat as death, meat eaters see it as life and abundance. My dad was a retired butcher, so I grew up in a home where meat was the center of every meal and family celebration. When I made the switch five years ago, I felt a sense of loss for a few days and couldn't figure out why. I think it's because meat had come to represent more than just something to eat.
You just struck a few nerves, that's all.
Why don't people tell me these things before hand?? I'd ask a few polite questions (i.e. Is it hard? Where do you do your grocery shopping? Are you vegetarian or vegan)? Then listen to what they tell me, so the next time I'm at a function where they are, I know they'll have something to eat.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I never pay attention to what other people are eating.. I eat a lot less than the rest of my family and I am really funny about certain textures. Eat what you want and tell others to worry about their own food.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts