VeggieBoards banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17364029

Quote:
US network HBO has agreed to stop filming with horses on Dustin Hoffman drama Luck after a third animal was injured and put down during production.

The American Humane Association (AHA) issued the order, pending a "thorough and comprehensive investigation".
So far three horses have died on set in two seasons

·
Registered
922 Posts
This is horrific. I had a hunch when I saw the trailor that something like this would happen to the poor mites.

·
Registered
25,067 Posts
This is enough for me to want the show never to shoot another episode. Some ******* commenting on the story was saying how horses dying happens all the time in horse racing and how that's a part of it but the horses still love the racing so much. That's such a piece-of-**** excuse that doesn't justify anything but on the contrary shows why horse-racing as a whole is for squares.

·
Registered
663 Posts
So two horses die in racing scenes and they let the show go on after changing procedure, then they stop for......

Quote:
HBO said the horse was being led to a stable by a groom when it reared and fell back, suffering a head injury.
Alrighty then. Interesting priorities.

·
Registered
299 Posts
It tells you something about people that it took not one, not two, but three horses dead for them to realize that something needs to be done about it.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
F**ing terrible and shameful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvington View Post

So two horses die in racing scenes and they let the show go on after changing procedure
They didn't even die as a result of the filming. They were only injured and were "put down" (aka killed). This happens all the time and is really infuriating. I know there are unique issues with horses which make it hard to heal them but that's a good reason to stop exploiting them like this.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Reddtail View Post

It tells you something about people that it took not one, not two, but three horses dead for them to realize that something needs to be done about it.
They did do something before actually, although it doesn't specify what they changed exactly. Then another horse suffered something totally unforeseeable and they pulled the plug. I really can't make sense of this from any perspective except public relations, since the latest accident could have happened anywhere.

·
Registered
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I definitely think this is a PR thing. Obviously they don't care about the horses as they would have done something after the first had to be put down (not that they should have been exploiting them in the first place).

·
Banned
3,641 Posts
Why don't they use CGI horses? CGI can look fairly realistic sometimes, especially if it's fast paced and you don't have time to analyze the picture.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I always find these things depressingly hypocritical. Three horses die on the set of a TV show, and they aren't allowed to use horses anymore (good). Whereas, at the same time, five horses die during the first two days of the Cheltenham Festival (an annual horse racing event in the UK), but that's just business as usual. Horses dying for entertainment in the TV industry is bad, whereas horses dying for entertainment in the sport industry is normal. It's especially ironic considering that Luck was about the worse sides of horse racing. I'd consider horses constantly dying to be the worst part myself.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts