VeggieBoards banner

Bat in our attic - ideas for capture?

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  vegkid 
#1 ·
My husband went to put his suitcase back in the attic and discovered a bat flying around. It's a decent sized bat - brown and black with a wingspan of maybe 8-10". We have a good wildlife rehabilitation resource in the area and I will call them in the morning. But I thought I would see if any of you have experience with trapping a bat. There are no windows. Thanks for any help. I'm worried about it. Fortunately we were able to disconnect the attic fan.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #7 ·
I called the rehabbers groups today and got some ideas for capture. They suggested that we try to catch it today when it was less active - just placing a large can over it and using a piece of thin cardboard to slide under the can to contain it. Unfortunately, we have not been able to find it. Perhaps it got out the same way it got in? I keep checking the attic, but so far, no bat.

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Still no sign of the bat.
I hope it found it's way back outside. Like most attics, ours has beams, boxes, furniture, insulation and Christmas ornaments! Hard to find anything, much less a small sleeping bat. I put a jar lid of water up there earlier, and just put a slice of apple. I'll probably just attract roaches!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.