VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Baste the Bird!' contest winners show their colors for Thanksgiving

from Binghamton Press and Sun Bulletin, November 23, 2006.

http://www.pressconnects.com/apps/pb...1004/LIFESTYLE

Quote:
...Press & Sun-Bulletin's fifth annual "Baste the Bird!" challenge. Earlier this month, we asked readers to decorate our goofy turkey drawing and fill in the bubble above his head. Some of the sayings made the judges smile, like these:...

* A poem: "Why would you eat / a helpless bird? When / tofu is better, / or so I have heard" by Amy Lipski, 13, of Binghamton....
Quote:
...So, without further ado, here are the winning entries of the 2006 Press & Sun-Bulletin "Baste the Bird!" contest...

AGES 8-10:

Marlee Shaffer, 8, Harpursville

Turkey quote: "Eat pasta, not turkey"

Judges comments: "The changing of letters (from Baste to Pasta) and the plate of pasta itself, it's just well-done. The torn paper is also a nice touch."
Isn't nice to know that even some children realize that the holiday is not about eating Turkey! I do suspect that 15 month old Haley had help writing "Eat more tofu!" The artwork does appear to be his own though.

LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
19,134 Posts
Very cool!

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
It's funny, though, isn't it, when children personalize animals and don't want to eat them once they see even a cartoon picture of them... yet are so detatched from chicken nuggets or a slice of turkey on the plate.

I recall (about a decade ago) a teacher in the portland school district taking kids on a field trip to the produce section of the grocery store to talk about where our food comes from and how it gets to the store.

It really shows how removed we are from our food and its source.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts