VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, who here plays bass? I myself am a bassist. Not a very good one, and I'm not in a band as of yet, but I do enjoy playing bass anyway.

Are there any other bassists out there? And another question. Do you use a 5-string or are you into multi-string basses? I'm a bit of a four-string purist myself, though I do like the look (and sound) of the fender Jazz bass V and the Musicman Stingray 5-string guitars.

I often think that the bassist is the most overlooked member of a band. Lead guitarists and vocalists get all the credit!! Not many bassists get a lot of spotlight.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I play bass!

I have a 4-string Fender P-bass, which is getting kinda old now. I don't play it as much as I play the guitar, but I still really like it. I just usually play Joy Division and RATM basslines over and over

Like you, I've never been in a band, but I do plan to record some of my songs soon.

I totally agree with you about bassists being overshadowed by guitarists,etc. There have been so so many great bassists - Jack Bruce, Paul McCartney (okay... perhaps HE gets more attention than he deserves), Thingy Thing from Rage Against The Machine, John Entwhistle, Colin Greenwood...

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
My dad has a bass... which I play sometimes (although I shouldn't). I don't know much about it, though... I know more about the guitar (which still isn't much). What else can you expect from an orchestra person?

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Loki

Not many bassists get a lot of spotlight.
Indeed. But then there's the Les Claypools, the Fleas, the Rachel Hadens (okay that last one is just a personal fave!)

I used to play bass, then I converted to drums, now I play both but just lesiurely. I play a 1982 CF Martin four string electric (picture attached, unstrung). It's great - 1 old mini-humbucker and a smal solid maple body. The finish is ruined a bit from living in my car for months (the bass and myself, that is). Lot's of sentimental value.

I'm thinking that if I don't get into a grad school that I want to go to, I'll take a year or two to reform my last band and see how it goes before venturing back into the "real world".

Hey Loki did you say you were British in another thread? That's awesome. I lurrrrrve England. I was once an Essex boy but my family moved to Washington DC about 15 years ago
I'm even wearing a Tottenham jersey right now. What kind of bands are hot over there right now? I'm a huge Placebo fan.
LL

·
Registered
0 Posts
Well all RIGHT, more bassmen!

I play bass and have for decades, though not constantly. I started out in 1973 or so with a '61 Precision and kept it for a long time before I sold it in a fit of insanity. Right now I'm either playing a contemporary Fender Deluxe American P bass with the hotter lace pickups and toggle (it's got a great tone) or my old standby, a '72 Fender Telecaster bass. I've got a couple of amps, an Ampeg V4B over a 4x10 + folded horn, or an old Kustom pleated amp that I've had for eons. Without a bassman, what have ya got? NADA!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Max - I used to be a huuuuuge Spurs fan
But this was ages ago... when Linekar and Gascoigne and Gary Mabbott still played for them. Gosh, that WAS a long time ago.

Bands big over here at the moment? Well, there's Coldplay, The White Stripes, Placebo... ummm... ummm... and I can't actually think of any more!

I'm going to see Bis next weekend... huzzah!!

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Gazumper

I'm going to see Bis next weekend... huzzah!!
Nooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE BIS!!!!!!! I'm so jealous!!!!!!! I always seem to blink and miss their US dates!!!!

One of my all-time favorite albums, and certainly the best album recorded since OK Computer, is Rings Around the World by Super Furry Animals. That's a great band right there!

The new Placebo album kicks ass (I SWEAR I already posted a message about this here - did it disapear? Am I stoned and don't know it??) and I'm awaiting their stateside return. All of the Placebo shows I've been have been insane - stuff I wouldn't want to share in mixed company or without a lawyer present

I really oughta move back to England just for the football and music!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm stuck with a cheap-ass jazz bass copy by westfield. The action is higher than the eiffel tower. Not the best to use, but I get to play bass. I'm no fan of placebo. I do like some of their songs, and I like their new single, but I don't really notice them.

And talking about Flea getting a lot of attention, I'd agree. He's at the top of my list of great bassists. I also like Tony Kanal from No Doubt. I had a go at learning how to play don't speak. It's quite nasty. Flea's quite good at bass as well. Apparently, he didn't liek the bassline he wrote for aeroplane. This is weird, because I love it, and after trying for 1 and a half years, I still haven't perfected it!

I've not been playing long. I've been playing guitar for three years, and bass for 18 months. I have no lessons. it's just a case of teach myself. Just me, a bass an mxtabs.com. I'm also an Ok guitarist. I can't make it cry or scream, but I know all the chords!

Oh yeah, and anyone for Paz Lenchantin. I'm not a big fan of a perfect cirlce or Zwan, but is she good! (She's also a good musician!)

And has anyone heard of a british band going by the name of "muse" They're one of my favourites. The guitarist/vocalist/pianist is the one with all the talent, so he overshadows the basist and drummer, but I guess he deserves to, because he's a damn good musician.

Anyway, top of my list is that when i get some cash coming in, I'll join a band and get myself a decent bass! Maybe a peavey or a fender. I guess you gotta start somewhere.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Musemusemusemuse..

I liked 'Showbiz' but I don't really like their recent stuff. Do you like Jeff Buckley? Or Radiohead? Or Martin Grech?

I'm a huge fan of both A Perfect Circle and Zwan... Paz is the best

And Max.. I hate to tell you this, but Bis are splitting up after these UK gigs

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I liked showbiz as well. I do like their new stuff, though it's not as good. But plig in baby will remain a classic, I think. And the cover of feelin' good is pretty cool, IMO

Jeff Buckley - I've heard the name but no idea who he is. I haven't even heard of Martin Grech, but I do like Radiohead. I've got OK computer sitting around somewhere. I seldom play it, though it's quite good. I've heard some other cool radiohead stuff as well, but I'm not a big fan of their new stuff. I like the older ones like just and creep.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I got my bass when I was 13, I'm 26 now. I haven't played in a few years though. I have an Ibanez. It's beautiful and bright red. Currently, it has no G string ( huh, huh, huh, that almost sounded dirty!) and is way out of tune. Do you use a pick or fingers? I can't play with a pick ( I could never play guitar).

·
Registered
0 Posts
I play guitar..finger pick mostly. I prefer it over strumming with a pick. It feels more intimate; more at one with the guitar if I finger pick.

I've never played bass before but I love to listen to a good bass line.

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Vegankat

Brian Molko is pretty.
He sure is.

My first Bass was one I bought off of a mate's brother for $50. It was kind of beat up, and I broke the G-string right away and so replaced all the strings with 4 normal guitar strings because they are cheaper. And I had to do some rewiring and use gaffer tape to hold it together. Finally I got sick of it and smashed it up.

I got another later on and enjoyed playing it (ended up selling it). So now I just have my electric and classical acoustic, but I woldn't mind getting another Bass.

·
Banned
2,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Gazumper

And Max.. I hate to tell you this, but Bis are splitting up after these UK gigs
I love it when you write a post, then it gets erased because you've included too many smilies (4 is too many?!?!?)

Anywho, since I hate repeating myself, I'll summarize:

• Bis breawking up!?!?!?!?! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
    ;
  • New stuff good, older stuff better, peaked with "Eurodisco" and "I'm a Slut" on Social Dancing;
  • Fave tracks are from Intendo: "Girl Star" and "Famous";
  • I had a huge crush on Manda Rin, I hope she's still doing her radio show (?);
  • Bass guitars are kickass. Bass synths are kickass, too.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I play bass ... my dad began teaching me when I was quite young. I kind of put it down for several years while working more with piano and various woodwinds while in highschool.

My father plays piano, guitar, bass, and he began on mandolin as a young child. Right now, we're in a trio together with him on piano and me on bass. I have a Fender Precision II electric (4 string) and I recently got a three-quarter sized upright and have been playing it. It's way cool ... but I can't quite pull-off some of the cool licks on it like I can on my Fender .... yet! I'll get there, though.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When i play guitar, I use a pick. A nice 0.73mm one to be precise.

When i play bass, I use fingers, all the way. I can't imagine playing bass with a pick.

And I'm one of those guitarists who isn't into all the warwick-bass and paul-reed-smith-guitar crap that's trendy today. Give me a fender bass and a gibson guitar any day of the week! My shopping list would be a fender jazz bass and musicman stingray (yeah!) for basses, and I'd like a Gibson SG, and an explorer, as well as a fender jazzmaster. But one can only dream of having guitars that don't buzz when you play certain notes. (Dammit!)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Loki

When i play guitar, I use a pick. A nice 0.73mm one to be precise.

When i play bass, I use fingers, all the way. I can't imagine playing bass with a pick.

And I'm one of those guitarists who isn't into all the warwick-bass and paul-reed-smith-guitar crap that's trendy today. Give me a fender bass and a gibson guitar any day of the week! My shopping list would be a fender jazz bass and musicman stingray (yeah!) for basses, and I'd like a Gibson SG, and an explorer, as well as a fender jazzmaster. But one can only dream of having guitars that don't buzz when you play certain notes. (Dammit!)
I don't use a pick with bass. I use my thumb on my Fender ... but I use my first two fingers on my upright. My husband's been taking guitar lessons, and I've been making him show me what he learns each week and in that way, learning, myself - - and in so doing, using a pick.

I grew up listening to my dad play his Gibson. (My dad plays as well as Les Paul or Wes Montgomery or Herb Ellis, et. al. I love listening to him play. He plays a mean bass, too. However, he is the piano player in our trio. He ended up giving my brother his Gibson.) He was going to give me the old Vox that he taught me on ... and although it is a collectible, it sounds like MAJOR crap and as much as I appreciated it, well, he helped my hubby pick-out my Fender (for my 30th birthday), so that's just as special in a different way. The Vox would just be something to hang on the wall and look at. Literally. Anyway, have you ever heard a Martin or an Epiphone?

Now, about that buzzing ... I've been working and working on my Fender and it's driving me NUTS! First, I replaced the strings which took care of my buzzing A. However, my dad has been adjusting it for me and there's still another buzz that we can't trace and it just makes me NUTS! Oh well.

One other thing ... when you were mentioning bass artists, you left-out Sting! Also, I'm a fan of Ray Brown, John Clayton, and Orsted Pederson - - but they're all jazz guys.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.