VeggieBoards banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lived in Austin, Texas most of my life, and there have always been a few things and places that ARE Austin. The University of Texas, The constand rallies and protests are the capitol (at least half of the population despises the republican party and their monkey, who happens to come from here), and of course, Barton Springs.<br><br><br><br>
Barton Springs was always the place where people went when the rest of the world felt overcrowded, over developed and over polluted. The water was a constant temperature ( 68 I do believe), topless sunbathing was just fine, the sun seemed to always be shining. It's been made into a sort of pool by placing concrete edges around the sides, and a sidewalk around parts, but chemicals were never added, and the bottom was kept completely natural, fresh spring and native salamanders and all.<br><br><br><br>
Several months ago, the water was tested as usual, and the entire city was disbelieving when it was announced that the springs were "contaminated" and unsafe to swim in. Summer's fast approaching, and instead of the surrounding grass being populated by families stretched out on beach towels and half naked babies, the place is empty, and a notice is hung on the gate, announcing the closure of the place that seemed untouched by the rest of the world.<br><br><br><br>
This is a terrifying thought for everyone here. The general sentiment is that the last place that was safe and unpolluted has been destroyed. The worst part is, the city won't tell us what's wrong with the water, or if it's fixable.<br><br><br><br>
I suppose it's chlorine and concrete from now on.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts