VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A discussion in the Harry Potter thread regarding censorship of the HP books inspired me to create this new thread about censored books. The following is the section on the American Library Association's website regarding their Banned Books Week, which comes at the end of every September.

http://www.ala.org/ala/oif/bannedboo...dbooksweek.htm

There are lists on that site of the most challenged books for this century, the past decade, etc. How many books on that list have YOU read?

Celebrate the freedom to read!

·
Registered
0 Posts
i read everything judy blume ever wrote- and I hope she continues writing adult novels. Summer Sisters was awesome.

why they challange the Chocolate Wars?

·
Registered
995 Posts
A good amount of them, I must be a rebel

Check out why they are baned, ohh they have sexual words in them or offensive language.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Out of the 100 most challenged books from 1990-2000 I've only read thirty, twelve of which I read for school. I'm thankful that I live in a community where all of these books are easily available in public libraries and schools.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I recently did a big display of banned books! The ALA also has a compilation of various banned books and the history of challenges to them. It's interesting reading, I've looked through it many times.

·
Registered
800 Posts
well i've read quite a bit (some to my son) why is James and the giant peach on the 100 most challenged books? and Where's waldo????

I've read the Sleeping Beauty Trilogy and it was very racy.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I've only read a few of the books off of the Top 100 list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliotsMom View Post

I've read the Sleeping Beauty Trilogy and it was very racy.
Whoa, no kidding... I just read part of the excerpt of "The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty" on Amazon.com.

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by misq17 View Post

Out of the 100 most challenged books from 1990-2000 I've only read thirty, twelve of which I read for school. I'm thankful that I live in a community where all of these books are easily available in public libraries and schools.
from that list
Quote:
What's Happening to my Body? Book for Girls: A Growing-Up Guide for Parents & Daughters by Lynda Madaras
(there's one for boys too)

I love it.

·
Registered
5,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonAmy View Post

from that list (there's one for boys too)

I love it.
My mom got me that book about growing up from the library when I was 11. It scared the bejesus out of me and I pretended that I had never read it.

·
Registered
5,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottsMom View Post

well i've read quite a bit (some to my son) why is James and the giant peach on the 100 most challenged books? and Where's waldo????
half naked chick. so i hear.

·
Banned
2,550 Posts
ive read 25-30 ish from that top 100 from 1990-2000 list. geeeez some people. Maybe I should ask at work if we can do a display of banned books
(i work at Barnes and Noble) Some of those books on there are really great novels....

·
Registered
7,858 Posts
I've only read like 6 from that top 100 list, counting whole series as one book. 7 is 'Where's Waldo?' is the same thing as 'Where's Wally'.

We have a good few more of them in my house though.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by purrpelle View Post

i read everything judy blume ever wrote- and I hope she continues writing adult novels. Summer Sisters was awesome.

why they challange the Chocolate Wars?
judy blume has been banned?????? I grew up on her books, kept her books and now my two daughters have read and/or are reading her books.

I saw where the Bible has been banned. But the Koran hasn't.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Whoa, no kidding... I just read part of the excerpt of "The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty" on Amazon.com.
[/QUOTE]

I have that book if you want it. I will send it to you. Just let me know.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
Keep in mind, that the ALA list isn't of books that have been banned, just those that have been challenged. Most libraries will fiercly contest the majority of these challenges, and in most cases, prevail. (when I say "majority" and "most", I am purely guessing, bases on my experience withing the library system, and from reading the ALA site pretty extensively. covering my bases, you know...)

I did a big display at the High School Library where I work. I collected every one of the books from the list that we had in our collection. I was pleased to see that we had about a third of the books on the list. I hung a picture of a recent book-burning, and posted information about the process of book challenges. Of course I promenently displayed the Harry Potter books, as well as the Shel Silverstein. And, because Huck Finn is a perenial favorite of the challenge list, it was featured strongly. Maya Angelou, Alice Walker, Stephen King, Judy Bloom, Jean Auel, Chistopher Pike...

Our library takes a pretty strong stance regarding making information available to our students, and Administration supports that stance completely. We have books on sexual development, as well as sexuality and sexual identity, on our shelves. Some of the books that contain very graphic illustrations are kept behind the circulation desk, but that's mostly to avoid clusters of Freshmen pointing and giggling. Jon Stewart's "America, the book" is behind the desk, but it is in our catalog, and available for checkout by any student.

When we consider book purchases, we do avoid books that have excessive amounts of violence, language, and sexuality, but I can promise you that we rarely scratch a book off our list just for those reasons...

·
Registered
12,132 Posts
Quote:
3. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

4. The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier

5. The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain

6. Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

7. Harry Potter (Series) by J.K. Rowling

8. Forever by Judy Blume

9. Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson

13. The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

18. The Color Purple by Alice Walker

20. Earth's Children (Series) by Jean M. Auel

21. The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson

22. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

23. Go Ask Alice by Anonymous

27. The Witches by Roald Dahl

32. Blubber by Judy Blumey

37. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood

38. Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George

41. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

43. The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

44. The Pigman by Paul Zindel

46. Deenie by Judy Blume

47. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

52. Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

53. Sleeping Beauty Trilogy by A.N. Roquelaure (Anne Rice)

55. Cujo by Stephen King

56. James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl

57. The Anarchist Cookbook by William Powell

60. American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

62. Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret by Judy Blume

70. Lord of the Flies by William Golding

76. Where Did I Come From? by Peter Mayle

77. Carrie by Stephen King

78. Tiger Eyes by Judy Blume

83. The Dead Zone by Stephen King

84. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain

88. Where's Waldo? by Martin Hanford

90. Little Black Sambo by Helen Bannerman

96. How to Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell
Some good books on the "most challenged book list". I throroughly enjoyed a lot of those books as a school student.. I'm assuming these are children's libraries, right? Don't see any of the "biggies" up there ("Story of O" "Venus in Furs" etc)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Aww.. I've only read five. I think most of the books I've read aren't popular enough to have people try to ban them

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
26, but some series I read (Harry Potter and Earth's Children) counted as one.

Why is The Face on the Milk Carton on there? The only scene I can think of that's even vaguely racy is when Janie and her boyfriend rent a hotel room and then decide not to have sex.

I think it's amusing that a lot of the banned books that I read were required reading at school. Years ago my high school English teacher got a lot of complaints about Catcher in the Rye and he was about to drop it from the curriculum just to make it stop. Then one parent told him exactly how many swear words were in it and showed him a copy where she had highlighted every single objectionable word. He decided that if parents were going through looking for things to complain about instead of actually reading the work and getting the message, he was going to keep teaching it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.