VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Without making a cursory glance at the Google, I'd say small amounts wouldn't be unsafe. We bake with it, it can't be that bad. The problem I see -- perhaps serious, perhaps comical -- goes back to the volcano experiments of youth. Stomach acids could react with the baking soda and create a very unpleasant fizz. I don't know that. Just conjecture.

There's always milk. It gives temporary relief.

Rolaids or Tums or some other antacid that contains calcium carbonate -- which can cause kidney problems down the line, I believe.

Do you drink? Alcohol can cause excess acid production.

Have you considered your diet? That would be the leading culprit, I would think.

Anyway, do tell us how it goes!

·
Registered
770 Posts
It's usually ONE of the ingredients found in antacids and PPIs. Sure you can use it but I don't know how effective it is alone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use it all the time when I run out of Omeprezole (I have a herniated stomach sphincter so it constantly leaks into my esophagus). It works better than any antacid I've ever used, and it's by far the cheapest option available for occasional upset. Long-term heavy usage can lead to issues related to huge amounts of Sodium being added to your diet, though. It's not a permanent solution, but son't be afraid of using it from time to time.

That being said, consult a doctor if you have constant heartburn, because that's usually a symptom of some other problem (like mine) that a professional should look into. If it's self-diagnosed it can be problematic when you don't have the bigger picture looked at, IE you end up aggravating the problem until it gets too serious to easily fix.

On a side note: It also works very well to bring down the acidity in tomato sauces. I use it pinch-by-pinch in my 'from scratch' pizza sauces instead of dumping tons of sugar into it instead. I hate sweet pizza sauce.

Not a bad toothpaste substitute either, if you can stand the taste.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's actually much better since it's a dilute mixture rather than a big wad of paste. I usually drink 12+ oz with it. It's barely noticeable in that much water.

Still, yeah... It's kinda like fish-flavored salt.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmr4815 View Post

Without making a cursory glance at the Google, I'd say small amounts wouldn't be unsafe. We bake with it, it can't be that bad. The problem I see -- perhaps serious, perhaps comical -- goes back to the volcano experiments of youth. Stomach acids could react with the baking soda and create a very unpleasant fizz. I don't know that. Just conjecture.

There's always milk. It gives temporary relief.

Rolaids or Tums or some other antacid that contains calcium carbonate -- which can cause kidney problems down the line, I believe.

Do you drink? Alcohol can cause excess acid production.

Have you considered your diet? That would be the leading culprit, I would think.

Anyway, do tell us how it goes!
Well milk can stimulate acid production. I don't drink. My diet is pretty bland. Bland is best. My Dr. has prescribed proton pump inhibitors. But the side effects bother me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.