VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have a recipe? im craving donuts so bad but dont want to eat enriched flour or something deepfried. so does anyone have a recipe for baked donuts? i dont care if it calls for enriched flour ill just use whole wheat instead.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I just made these and they were pretty good. I skipped the whole egg replacer thing (imo egg replacement is rarely ever needed) and made it gluten free with a mixture of flours, i also stuck a little cinamon in the mixture which added a nice little extra kick. Then i baked them in baby bundt tins. They turn out really doughnutty and were delicious topped with some cinamon and icing sugar.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vheogl View Post

I just made these and they were pretty good. I skipped the whole egg replacer thing (imo egg replacement is rarely ever needed) and made it gluten free with a mixture of flours, i also stuck a little cinamon in the mixture which added a nice little extra kick. Then i baked them in baby bundt tins. They turn out really doughnutty and were delicious topped with some cinamon and icing sugar.
is that icing you made not use any margarine/fat? if so could you post it

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think I may have overcooked my first batch a little
They were a little tough like a scone and a bit like bread instead of cakey, so I'm leaving the next lot in a bit shorter, I hope they taste better than the one I'm crunching through now (I'm usually a pretty okay cook, not sure where I went wrong, although I did use almond milk instead of soy cause I'm soy allergic).

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by veg*nrunner View Post

is that icing you made not use any margarine/fat? if so could you post it
It wasn't icing as such i just mixed up some cinamon and icing sugar and springled it over. Was much nicer than icing, way less sickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtigercubs View Post

I think I may have overcooked my first batch a little They were a little tough like a scone and a bit like bread instead of cakey, so I'm leaving the next lot in a bit shorter, I hope they taste better than the one I'm crunching through now (I'm usually a pretty okay cook, not sure where I went wrong, although I did use almond milk instead of soy cause I'm soy allergic).
Almond milk shouldn't make a difference. I used a mixture of rice milk and water because i ran out of soy milk. You probably over cooked them or didnt add enough liquid. Make sure the mixtures kind of like a sponge cake consistancy then bake for 10-15 minutes and check them then by sticking a knife/tooth pick in and see if it comes out clean, if it does they're done. Also what flour did you use? And did you use egg replacer? I find both of those can have an effect on the end result.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I used normal flour (although I did use 1/2 cup self raising cause I stuffed up my first batch talking to my kids) so maybe that was the problem. I also used orgran egg replacer. The 2nd lot I didn't cook for as long but they were still very dry and ickish. The kids LOVED them though-lol. Next time I'll buy more flour and give them another go and hopefully they'll turn out a bit better.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtigercubs View Post

I used normal flour (although I did use 1/2 cup self raising cause I stuffed up my first batch talking to my kids) so maybe that was the problem. I also used orgran egg replacer. The 2nd lot I didn't cook for as long but they were still very dry and ickish. The kids LOVED them though-lol. Next time I'll buy more flour and give them another go and hopefully they'll turn out a bit better.
The self raising flour shouldnt really have an effect seeing as the recipe uses baking powder anyway. I'd take a wild guess and say it's the egg replacer. I've had a few people use recipes i've had no problem with, who used egg replacer and commented that the end result is very dry and tastes a little odd.

Try this next time.(same recipe adapted slightly)

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup soy butter, at room temperature

1/3 cup sugar

2/3 cup soymilk

Cream the 'butter' and sugar together, add all the dry ingredients, add the soy milk and mix like crazy till it's smooth. If it seems a bit stiff add a splash of soy milk/water to the mixture.

Bake in a preheated oven for about 10 minutes and check them then. If a toothpick comes out clean they're done.

In other words skip the egg replacer and the stupid seperate bowls thing. I swear people always make baking more complicated than it needs to be.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks, I'll give that a go next time (err I also used margarine instead of soy butter but I think that wouldn't have made a whole lot of difference). Lol, I was wondering about the whole double bowl thing. First time I've ever had to bake with 2 bowls!!! Thanks for the help!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.