VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do I veganize this meal? I know Heinz and Bush make a vegetarian variety of beans, but frankly I am not pleased with the sodium content in either, as well as sketchy ingredients such as; glucose syrup, modified corn starch and whatnot. I found that Eden have the most natural of all the varieties w/ sorghum and mustard seed, but the taste is a bit foul.
I will try to bear with it as I am not able to find another tin of organic baked beans with low sodium and sugar. Do ya know of any? PErhaps I could add something (vegan) to liven it up a bit. Any suggestions? I hear ppl use ketchup.... is this used to dip or rather mixed in with the beans? Are there any cheese alternatives that are healthy? I hear things like soy cheese and rice cheese are not all that healthy. Well.... thanks for any assistance you can offer. BBL!

·
Registered
787 Posts
SKILLET BAKED BEANS (from the veg family cookbook)

Serves 6.

1 1/2 tbsp light olive oil

1 medium-large onion, quartered and thinly sliced

2 garlic cloves, minced

3 16-ounce tins navy beans, drained and rinsed

1/3 cup good-quality ketchup

3 tbsp maple syrup

1 tbsp molasses or barley malt syrup

1 1/2 tsp yellow or Dijon mustard

1 tsp paprika

1/4 tsp ground ginger

Saute and onion over medium-low heat until translucent. Add the garlic, continue to saute until the onion is golden. Add the rest of the ingredients plus 3 tbsp water and stir together. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes. Serve immediately.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GanyGreenBean View Post

beans and soldiers? I think thats what it's called when you slice up the toast. I eat this all the time. It's one of my favorite meals!
So very British! My brit husband looooves beans on toast! Its his comfort food!!

·
Registered
343 Posts
You might want to get a crock pot and bake your own. I've made homemade beans and put them in small containers and freeze them to use all month.

I personally love the Bush baked beans, even if they are high in sodium.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Heinz do non-vegetarian beans?!

Being a lazy student I live off beans. usually cold and straight out of the can, oops. well theres worse things you can eat! Usually supermarket own brands do low salt versions. ive seen heinz ones too. tescos do low salt organic but ive noo idea where you are from

to er, make things slightly interesting, tobasco sauce + pepper is a slight improvement. thats just me though, truely lazy! can think of less healthy meals though.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Vegan Gourmet cheddar goes nice on BB on Toast.

I've actually been trying to locate some Parma! to use for this particular meal. No dice though.

Also, the following brands have organic, vegan baked beans:

Walnut Acres

Westbrae Natural

Trader Joe's

Amy's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts