VeggieBoards banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

I've had baked tofu a couple of times in the cafe at school and I'm eager to try to make some on my own.

I tried some last night, but it didn't come out all that great.

My problem was probably using cubed tofu and most of the pieces were kind of tiny, lol.

any tips for marinading/preparation/toppings/etc?

also, what types of tofu to use, cooking instructions, etc.

thanks!

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
I use firm or extra firm tofu. I press the water out of the block, slice it up into thin one-to-two-inch squares, dip them in soy sauce and lay the pieces out on an oiled cookie sheet. I bake for about twenty-thirty minutes (or until browned) on each side in a 400 degree oven. I've also covered the pieces with nutritional yeast after dipping in soy sauce and that's good too. Very yummy in stir fries or just to nibble by themselves!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I prepare and bake mine similarly to eggplant, and as mentioned, using firm or extra firm tofu is essential.

I like to marinate mine in a mixture of tamari sauce, sesame oil, maple syrup, garlic and ginger.

I make a dressing of tahini flavored with tamari sauce, cilantro and chives and eat it on a sandwich with spinach and sliced tomatoes.

Now I have a craving and must go make this now.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Try slicing it into maybe 1/2 inch thick slices, then breading it with crumbs and spices - I usually put bread crumbs, garlic, celery salt, dill, savory, salt pepper, a LITTLE bit of nutmeg, and cinnamon...and then bake it for about 15 mins @ 400 degrees... REALLY tasty. Also, freezing the tofu and thawing it first gives it a good texture.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts