VeggieBoards banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
awww, i didn't know there was kreeli-love goin on in here. thanks, y'all.

i have no bad habits. not even ones that stem from VB. well, except for that compulsive checking of the site 100 times a day thing.

·
Registered
0 Posts
I was doing a letter for work today and started got this far [i before I realized there's actually a button for italics. Just a habit I suppose. I also try and stop myself from using BTW in company emails (lol)

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
I'd say this girl has bad habits (not from VB though).

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...540139361.html

Quote:

SMS essay rings alarm bells for youth literacy

March 4 2003

Education experts have warned of the potentially damaging effect on literacy of mobile phone text messaging after a pupil handed in an essay written in text shorthand.

The 13-year-old girl submitted the essay to a teacher in a state secondary school in Scotland and explained that she found it "easier than standard English".

Her teacher said: "I could not believe what I was seeing. The page was riddled with hieroglyphics, many of which I simply could not translate."

The teenager's essay began: "My smmr hols wr CWOT. B4, we usd 2go2 NY 2C my bro, his GF & thr 3 :- kds FTF. ILNY, it's a gr8 plc." Translation: "My summer holidays were a complete waste of time. Before, we used to go to New York to see my brother, his girlfriend and their three screaming kids face to face. I love New York. It's a great place."

The Scottish Qualifications Authority has expressed concern about the problem in its report on last year's Standard Grade exams, and revealed that "text messaging language was inappropriately used" in the English exam.

A spokeswoman for the Scottish Parent Teacher Council said a decline in standards of grammar and written language was partly linked to the craze.

"There must be rigorous efforts from all quarters of the education system to stamp out the use of texting as a form of written language so far as English study is concerned.

"There has been a trend in recent years to emphasise spoken English. Pupils think orally and write phonetically. You would be shocked at the numbers of senior secondary pupils who cannot distinguish between their and there. The problem is that there is a feeling in some schools that pupils' freedom of expression should not be inhibited."

Dr Cynthia McVey, a psychology lecturer at Glasgow Caledonian University, said texting was second nature to a generation of young people.

"They don't write letters, so sitting down to write or type an essay is unusual and difficult. They revert to what they feel comfortable with. Texting is attractive and uncomplicated."

The Telegraph, London

·
Banned
5,034 Posts
Normal (land-line) telephones are, apparently, going to be receiving SMS text messaging capabilities at some point; which will probably make things worse (since it will be even more wide spread and common).

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I have to agree. This is a new age and I've already seen strange signs with my son. When my son was 1, he already new how to press the buttons to make the computer reboot. I had an old pc and we would wait for Windows to load and then shut it down, over and over again. By the age of three, he now types, I have to tell him which letter to push, with one finger at a time. Furthermore, through watching of me, Gav recently demostrated unbeliavable control over the mouse. He can maneuver the pointer anywhere on the screen and click to where he wants to go next. I try to limit his computer/viewing time for awhile yet and focus on crayons and finger paints. The longer I can hold him off, the longer VB gets to go without having two KC Kids sparking it up on here!!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Gah! I refuse to use Internet shorthand. It doesn't always make sense; for example, typing the letter K instead of OK. Does it take that much effort to type one more letter? It is very sad that kids have trouble writing on paper. I can understand not writing in cursive, though, because printing is easier to read. The only time I use cursive is to sign my name.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.