VeggieBoards banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
I went off to university right out of high school; but met my SO and ended up dropping out in my second year. After 8 years of raising a family, I went back to the same university. I found it a very rewarding experience and actually did much better being a more mature person. The university I attended had a "support group" for the "mature" students which met every day at lunch time in the student union. I found this to be very helpful. I think you will be fine! I did start off slowly taking only a couple classes at first but built up to full time.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

And of course I am scared of feeling like a dinosaur there since I am 10 years older than the rest, haha. I don't even feel like going to Orientation, although it would be a good thing to know about my program and campus
You shouldn't worry about being older because it's a bonus. When I went to uni as a mature-age student, there were a lot of us older peeps and the younger ones quite often used to say very little in class. I can remember asking them one day why they didn't contribute that much, and one of them admitted, "because we're totally intimidated by you guys cos you seem to know so much!".

So if you think YOU'RE scared, imagine what it's like being eighteen or nineteen and sitting in a class full of know-it-all late twenty and thirty somethings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasher View Post

at my uni, the older students were the some of the biggest and hardest partiers. the difference was, they knew how to go hard and still get their assignments in on time.
Not in my case.
The rave daze were peaking in my first and second year of uni so I ****ed up as bad as any teenager, but in third year I managed to get my act together.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

You shouldn't worry about being older because it's a bonus. When I went to uni as a mature-age student, there were a lot of us older peeps and the younger ones quite often used to say very little in class. I can remember asking them one day why they didn't contribute that much, and one of them admitted, "because we're totally intimidated by you guys cos you seem to know so much!".

So if you think YOU'RE scared, imagine what it's like being eighteen or nineteen and sitting in a class full of know-it-all late twenty and thirty somethings.
I'm experienced some truth in this. One class I took last year, the four most vocal students were myself and two other late twenties, along with one very bold and well spoken nineteen year old. All the other youngsters seemed very shy.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
wow, i am glad i made this post. all responses are so great i am less worried and more excited now

and yeah it makes sense that the young ones may be even more worried about it, at least i have been to school before and know a bit what to expect. and i guess if i will be knowing less about computers in the beginning my programmer friends will help me out

·
Registered
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Not in my case.
The rave daze were peaking in my first and second year of uni so I ****ed up as bad as any teenager, but in third year I managed to get my act together.
how a slacker like you managed to wangle your ms i've got no idea

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled_expatriate View Post

I never went beyond the 10th grade and feel incredibly apprehensive when I even consider getting my GED or attending college. The police became involved because at the time it was illegal for me to be out of school, but I still objected despite having to go to court. Now at 24, I believe I've wasted so much time and the pressure is especially applied because I realize that something must be done. It's more complicated than just a matter of laziness, though. Maybe I'll return to the classroom one day, even though eight years has gone by.
Pfft! Twenty-four is no big deal. If you want to get back to school all you need is the desire to better yourself.
I was older than you when I went back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasher View Post

how a slacker like you managed to wangle your ms i've got no idea
I know, I'm still sort of shocked too, but it's amazing what you can pull off when you know you're pushing **** uphill in life.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
I just signed up for classes and it starts a day after my 31st birthday. I am nervous!

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

I just signed up for classes and it starts a day after my 31st birthday. I am nervous!
what will you study?

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
I went to college right out of high school and never quite managed to graduate. I've got a career that pays well, but I just don't like it. So I was thinking of going back to school to learn to do something different, but I don't know what I'd want to study. And starting over at 38 seems like it could be overwhelming, especially since I was just never a very good student. I was smart enough to get by on brains alone, but my study habits have always been terrible, and still are. I've done some classes for my career over the years, and I never really do that great with them. I learn by actually applying the stuff on the job, not by sitting and reading a book about it.

--Fromper

·
Registered
471 Posts
I think you get so much more out of school when you are older. I only cared about getting my degree and not what I learned. I am sure you will have a great experience and meet some great people. just don't be the old person in the class that asks too many questions. Had a lady lime that when I was in college. She was annoying. Lol

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

what will you study?
I am doing dietitian AAS. Excited but so nervous.

·
Banned
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

I went to college right out of high school and never quite managed to graduate. I've got a career that pays well, but I just don't like it. So I was thinking of going back to school to learn to do something different, but I don't know what I'd want to study. And starting over at 38 seems like it could be overwhelming, especially since I was just never a very good student. I was smart enough to get by on brains alone, but my study habits have always been terrible, and still are. I've done some classes for my career over the years, and I never really do that great with them. I learn by actually applying the stuff on the job, not by sitting and reading a book about it.

--Fromper
I would suggest you to find something that you think you may like and would be good at and then start as a part time student. just tke a few classes the first semester so it doesn't overwhelm you and you can get an idea how it will go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post

I think you get so much more out of school when you are older. I only cared about getting my degree and not what I learned. I am sure you will have a great experience and meet some great people. just don't be the old person in the class that asks too many questions. Had a lady lime that when I was in college. She was annoying. Lol
Thats true, i am more interested in knowing things than before. and lol, that sure won't be me. i hate talk in a class room, I will have the opposite problem (same that i had back in the days): that i won't ask questions because i will get anxious by speaking in a class room. and i am not even a shy person, but speaking in a class is scary!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuicideBlonde View Post

I am doing dietitian AAS. Excited but so nervous.
That does sound very interesting. I am both excited and nervous now too. It is 3 weeks left! i am both happy to learn and yet nervous that i will suck, lol

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Good luck Ira, I start the 29th.. and I have some beastly courses too, nervous to the max. :x I was fine with general chem and physics, but organic chem, wave mechanics, and linear algebra scare me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
For many of us, our first degrees were to study the thing we now scratch our heads about and wonder, "What was I thinking."

What you do not have in prerequisites (say, programming knowledge) will be offset by discipline, some life experience and motivation. You will be surprised by the number of older students and how much more you enjoy the lectures the second time around.

Congratulations on your decision!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I agree with ocrob about the annoying mature student that talks too much. Don't be that person all you mature students here!
I am currently a university student but I went straight out of highschool so I'm 18. I think it is quite hard since straight away I am focusing on my studies, a part-time job, and living away from my parents for the first time. You're probably much better equipped for tertiary study a few years down the line. Good luck!

21 - 39 of 39 Posts