VeggieBoards banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Ira, I live in Montreal and have been to college a few times now. Every time I finish I go back again because I find that what I studied, while it was a great experience and interesting field, was not the path for me. At 22 they finally introduced me to the "22+ lounge", which I found was weird, but I guess it's there for much older students 40+? to have a place to be comfortable.

Even now at 27, I'm going back again to study health sciences and I'm sure I'll feel like I fit in, just need to pluck my three grey hairs, LOL. You will notice that you have a sharper grasp on reality, though. No offense to late teens/young adults, but I found that after the veil of innocence and naivety is lifted as you get older you look at these really young people with mixed emotions. One emotion I had was sadness, because I knew that as they get older some dreams and ideals will be shattered with the realities of the world, and I also looked upon them with admiration, I have had the privilege of studying with some VERY bright minds.

If I could share any negatives... don't let rich kids get to you? I work three part time jobs just to afford to live and go to school full time. I can tell you that it gets to me sometimes to see kids drive to class in fancy cars, full brand name clothes, iPads, and then skip class because daddy paid tuition and they don't give a ****.... but what are you gonna do, right?

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

You shouldn't worry about being older because it's a bonus. When I went to uni as a mature-age student, there were a lot of us older peeps and the younger ones quite often used to say very little in class. I can remember asking them one day why they didn't contribute that much, and one of them admitted, "because we're totally intimidated by you guys cos you seem to know so much!".

So if you think YOU'RE scared, imagine what it's like being eighteen or nineteen and sitting in a class full of know-it-all late twenty and thirty somethings.
I'm experienced some truth in this. One class I took last year, the four most vocal students were myself and two other late twenties, along with one very bold and well spoken nineteen year old. All the other youngsters seemed very shy.

·
Banned
1,529 Posts
Good luck Ira, I start the 29th.. and I have some beastly courses too, nervous to the max. :x I was fine with general chem and physics, but organic chem, wave mechanics, and linear algebra scare me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts