VeggieBoards banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ira View Post

And of course I am scared of feeling like a dinosaur there since I am 10 years older than the rest, haha. I don't even feel like going to Orientation, although it would be a good thing to know about my program and campus
You shouldn't worry about being older because it's a bonus. When I went to uni as a mature-age student, there were a lot of us older peeps and the younger ones quite often used to say very little in class. I can remember asking them one day why they didn't contribute that much, and one of them admitted, "because we're totally intimidated by you guys cos you seem to know so much!".

So if you think YOU'RE scared, imagine what it's like being eighteen or nineteen and sitting in a class full of know-it-all late twenty and thirty somethings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasher View Post

at my uni, the older students were the some of the biggest and hardest partiers. the difference was, they knew how to go hard and still get their assignments in on time.
Not in my case.
The rave daze were peaking in my first and second year of uni so I ****ed up as bad as any teenager, but in third year I managed to get my act together.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by exiled_expatriate View Post

I never went beyond the 10th grade and feel incredibly apprehensive when I even consider getting my GED or attending college. The police became involved because at the time it was illegal for me to be out of school, but I still objected despite having to go to court. Now at 24, I believe I've wasted so much time and the pressure is especially applied because I realize that something must be done. It's more complicated than just a matter of laziness, though. Maybe I'll return to the classroom one day, even though eight years has gone by.
Pfft! Twenty-four is no big deal. If you want to get back to school all you need is the desire to better yourself.
I was older than you when I went back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasher View Post

how a slacker like you managed to wangle your ms i've got no idea
I know, I'm still sort of shocked too, but it's amazing what you can pull off when you know you're pushing **** uphill in life.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts