VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the Tame One could be under the knife in the near future.

X-rays confirmed what I have suspected - degenerative disc disease. Seems my vertebrae will be getting up and close and personal with each other over time.

I'm down to physical therapy, epidurals, and surgery (fusion of my two lowest vertebrae) as options.

Yich.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
epidurals? like the "hoo-ee gawd these contractions are a beeyotch gimme somethin' NOW doc" variety?

yeow.

sorry to hear that, sugar.
will surgery correct the problem somewhat?

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Tame:

I'm no expert, but often the physical therapy--and other physical avenues can help you avoid back surgery and decrease your need for epis (are you going with the steroids or the narcs?).

I have a number of clients with various back problems: Degen. Disc, Ruputred and Herniated discs. They do very well with yoga--the ruputred and herniated discs can get to 100% in a few months or a year (in my experience so far).

So, if you can find a well trained yoga instructor in your area (try Yoga Journal's online directory at yogajournal.com and Yoga Alliance at yogaalliance.com), i would highly recommend a practice!

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Zoe - thanks for the advice. Hhhmmm...the Tame One in yoga...maybe not a bad idea.

As far as the discs - nothing is ruptured or herniated - they are simply disappearing.

I'm going to give PT a shot, and then I may try the yoga route. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
tame...i have DDD in 3 disc (L4,L5,S1) AND a partial herniation between L5-S1 and my neurologist put me on something called topamax. i take about 150mgs twice a day and i got all the feeling back in the toes of my left foot and no surgery, no needles nothing else. if you can avoid the needles....do it. from everything i've read and heard....they almost guarantee you'll need surgery since if they use steroids with the epi it degenerates even faster.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tame

Looks like the Tame One could be under the knife in the near future.

X-rays confirmed what I have suspected - degenerative disc disease. Seems my vertebrae will be getting up and close and personal with each other over time.

I'm down to physical therapy, epidurals, and surgery (fusion of my two lowest vertebrae) as options.

Yich.
I am really sorry to hear this.

If it is any consolation to you, my 15 year old nephew just underwent very serious back surgery. I don't understand all the technicalities, but one of his discs had degenerated to the point where the disc on top slipped over it. As I understand the operation, they took a part of his hip and ground it into a kind of organic cement, and they basically made him a new disc from that and some metal. He has to wear a brace much of the time for six months, and it will be a year before he is back to "normal"--during which time he cannot do very much, not lift things over 10 lbs or whatever, etc.

Good luck and best wishes.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
ouch, that sucks

i'd definately give pt and yoga a try before doing anything that might do more harm than good ie surgery and harsh drugs.

and think, yoga will make you more flexible

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Yoga! Yoga! Yoga!

Keep us posted on how the PT and yoga work for you, and whether you end up going for the injections sandiemac mentioned.

I fear I may end up with similar problems down the line, so you can be my guinea pig.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
NO NEEDLES!!! NO NERVE BLOCKS!!! Please avoid these Tame! You want to go the path of least resistance....chiropractic, acupuncture (needle i know but.....
), yoga and even the topamax or neurontin (i was in nursing school and working in an ER here in FL when I f***ed up my back so.....) Please take some educated advice: neuroSURGEONS and some neurologists will push the surgery and even the nerve blocks but.....try EVERYTHING else FIRST. The nerve blocks use corticosteriods and cause more degeneration of the discs and they can only do 3 before surgery is the only option. The drugs (esp topamax) work and don't touch the remaining disc material so if you DO have to have surgery you have more organic material left for them to work with.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
The othopedics of our hospital use back surgery less and less because in lots of diseases surgery isn´t better than consevative treatments like sandiemac has suggested. Look for a second opinion before you decide.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
also...i don't know if this applies or not but.....if you need to lose weight: do it. i was morbidly obese (310 lbs) when i was diagnosed and had gastric bypass surgry (170 lbs now....40 to go ) and have noticed a significant improvement. I'm not saying i'm pain-free: I'm not. i still have mornings that i hurt when i wake up (i take bextra...like vioxx...daily) those mornings are fewer. I still have times when i'll move the wrong way or pick something up i shouldn't and my back will tell me LOUDLY AND CLEARLY how UNhappy it is i did that. BUT: almost 2 years later (was diagnosed 11/01) I am still BACK SURGERY FREE

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
If you take bextra or vioxx because of stomach problems, vioxx is the better solution. Interested in knowing more about coxibs?

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sandiemac

they almost guarantee you'll need surgery since if they use steroids with the epi it degenerates even faster.
Thank you for that info. I was not aware of that - moves that much farther down my list as an option.

·
Banned
13,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by sandiemac

also...i don't know if this applies or not but.....if you need to lose weight: do it. i was morbidly obese (310 lbs) when i was diagnosed and had gastric bypass surgry (170 lbs now....40 to go ) and have noticed a significant improvement. I'm not saying i'm pain-free: I'm not. i still have mornings that i hurt when i wake up (i take bextra...like vioxx...daily) those mornings are fewer. I still have times when i'll move the wrong way or pick something up i shouldn't and my back will tell me LOUDLY AND CLEARLY how UNhappy it is i did that. BUT: almost 2 years later (was diagnosed 11/01) I am still BACK SURGERY FREE
I am in the process of dropping 15 lbs. I'm not overweight, but I started carrying a little extra around the waist (my workouts diminished as my pain increased.)

The good news - I haven't started PT yet, but the new exercise program I started a month ago has helped some. My orthopedist took that as a good sign.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tame

I am in the process of dropping 15 lbs. I'm not overweight, but I started carrying a little extra around the waist (my workouts diminished as my pain increased.)

The good news - I haven't started PT yet, but the new exercise program I started a month ago has helped some. My orthopedist took that as a good sign.
you also need to see a neurologist. orthopods and neurosurgeons are cutters. neuroLOGIST will look into meds first there are some meds that do seem to help with DDD especially if you have some sciatic involvement (topamax and neurontin (aka gabapentin) are 2 that come to mind).

Anything that will strengthen your core muscles (torso) will work wonders for lumbar/sacral spine. swimming, yoga and don't knock chiropractors...mine did help alot.

any further help you need...please feel free to ask

1 - 20 of 34 Posts