VeggieBoards banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a 2.5 week trip in Ecuador with my g/f and her family. Poor me lost about 7 lbs while I was down there too, cuz it is soooo not veggie people friendly down there! Just about every meal in a restuarant had some sort of meat inside. When we went out to restuarants, I'd usually try to order steamed vegetables and rice... New Years buffet (which I was dragged to) was the worst. I had a woopin endless supply of soso rice with soso bread. Everything else had meat heavy thingies like steak, trout, chicken tamalles, etc...

icky.

Aside from the food, there were some nice highlights of the trip. We stayed 2 nights at a hot springs Thermal Pools resort. They had about 20 pools, some were waay too hot to handle (~115° F my guess) others felt perfect. Outside air was REALLY cold, around 45° F and it would often rain freezing drops but they somehow also felt really nice.

We also went on a 52 km biking tour through some mountains called Tandayapa... this was a LOT of fun, but extremely difficult since none of us were aclimated to their really high altitude. Throughout the trip, I was constantly being told that I dont have enough protein in my diet... blah blah blah, and that I have very little strength because of it... turns out, I was the only one able to climb the entire 52km bike ride (only person that didnt get sick on the trip too), everyone else had to hop on the truck for the up hills... heheheh

The rest of the trip was pretty much just family stuff. Oh yea, my g/f's aunt made me a nice "vegetarian pasta dish" with chicken broth inside... yumm.. lol When she wasnt looking, I threw it on other peoples plates so that I wouldnt offend her by not eating her special dish..

The trip was really fun, but a bit traumitizing with the none veggie food friendly aspect of it.

directory with some pics...

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
hey i'd wondered where you disappeared to. sounds like you had fun!

of course you made it up the hills, all you ate the whole trip was carbs lol. you must've been bouncing off the walls

it's carbs, not protein that gives us the energy to do stuff like that, i'm sure you had fun showing them up lol

nice pics, your gf's cute

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Sounds like a great trip, though!

NOt all places are as veggie friendly as Upper North America. That's always a factor to consider.

Generally speaking, in countries of European history, vegetarianism is a luxury of the rich, and not as commonplace.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I have had to consider many times what I would do in areas that were not at all veggie friendly, were I to stay for any length of time. (For example, while backpacking, or studying in certain remote areas). IN some situations, to refuse to break one's vegetarianism could result in detriments to one's health, after a while, but I still dunno if I could take that first bite of fish/chicken/whatever... ewww.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
¿Por qué de tu viaje, hablas más español, VeggieMonster?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
LF: nice pics, your gf's cute
hehe, I'll relay the message

Quote:
A: Generally speaking, in countries of European history, vegetarianism is a luxury of the rich, and not as commonplace.
Thats the weird thing about Ecuador. Poverty is at a REALLY high rate down there, and the cost of chicken, meat, and dairy products are actually higher than what they cost up here. People could easily live off of rice, beans, veggies, and fruits that are grown within the country... but people still insist on eating animals in just about every meal..

Quote:
A: I still dunno if I could take that first bite of fish/chicken/whatever
I know I wouldnt be able to.

Quote:
S: ¿Por qué de tu viaje, hablas más español, VeggieMonster?
Si hablo español, mi mama es de Mexico...

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Te consideras un hispano, ¿ya? ¿O un mestizo? No me gustan los nombres para los grupos de gente, pero son nombres aplicables a tiempo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts