VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back 2 days ago. The jet lag has been killing me so I havent done much.

Anyways, the veganism was MUCH easier than I expected. I was with a tour group, and I told them in advance that I was vegan, so they called all the restaurants we were going to in advance. If you go, I would recommend going with a tour group, because unless you are pretty fluent in Chinese, you may have a problem. The food for me was usually noodles, broccoli, tofu, eggplant, dumplings, or salad. I know that sounds like it would be repetitive for 3 weeks, but it wasn't that bad. I accidentally ate chicken twice. Once, because of a translator mishap, and the second because a friend snuck a chicken dumpling in with my vegan dumplings.

Also, I should point out a fish situation. When you walk into many restaurants you will see fish tanks with fish in them. People pick what live fish they want, and it is cooked for them. I of course, didn't order it, and neither did anyone else in my group, but other customers did, and it was sad to see the fish flopping around before they were cooked.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

...the second because a friend snuck a chicken dumpling in with my vegan dumplings.
Doesn't sound much like a friend to me!

Anyway I'm glad you didn't find it too difficult, I have a chinese friend who said a lot of the food they eat at home is vegan, but I figure the language barrier would be the most difficult thing usually. It sounds llike going with a tour group was really sucsessful and I'll bare it in mind
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

Anyways, the veganism was MUCH easier than I expected. I was with a tour group, and I told them in advance that I was vegan, so they called all the restaurants we were going to in advance. If you go, I would recommend going with a tour group, because unless you are pretty fluent in Chinese, you may have a problem. The food for me was usually noodles, broccoli, tofu, eggplant, dumplings, or salad. I know that sounds like it would be repetitive for 3 weeks, but it wasn't that bad.
It sounded good.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,131 Posts
Wow I would happily eat all those for three weeks, from a restaurant where I didn't have to cook it myself, it sounds really good.


Anyways, glad you had a good time on your trip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
Wow! I used to live in Southeast Asia and have visited China before. I wasn't vegan at the time but I would imagine it very difficult! They use fish flakes and fish sauces in everything. Every condiment seemed to have meat by-products of some kind too.
I remember the fish markets. There was a "fish supermarket' in Singapore I was at once. You pick your fish, they put it in a bag and you take it home alive and kill it yourself. It was the same in Kuala Lumpur. I even saw a frog aquarium in KL in a restaurant you pick your frog and they kill it for you. In Hong Kong we had "drunken prawns" where they bring you a bowl of live shrimp flopping around and they pour brandy over them and you watch them fall asleep. Then they bring it back to the kitchen and fry them up for you.

They are really connected to their food over there I have to say, though- in a positive sense. They need the freshness and they don't want the "veil of secrecy" behind what they eat. Little children happily watch their food get killed and cooked in front of them and are raised to respect what happens so they can be nourished.
My father ran supermarkets over there and had trouble selling pre-packaged meat. Nobody wanted to buy it because they weren't sure it was fresh. Its more about the open markets and I kind of respect that. I'm sure factory farming isn't as rampant over there as it is here.

Anyhoo- glad you survived! I do know of some southeast asian dishes that would be vegan (the names of them) but I might ask the cook for no fish flakes or sauce. If i ever went back it would be totally different being vegan!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamLayish View Post

The food for me was usually noodles, broccoli, tofu, eggplant, dumplings, or salad. I know that sounds like it would be repetitive for 3 weeks, but it wasn't that bad.
Agree with the other posters on this: it sounds delicious!


I'm glad you had fun.
Hope the jet lag goes away soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollycakes View Post

... They are really connected to their food over there I have to say, though- in a positive sense. They need the freshness and they don't want the "veil of secrecy" behind what they eat. Little children happily watch their food get killed and cooked in front of them and are raised to respect what happens so they can be nourished.
My father ran supermarkets over there and had trouble selling pre-packaged meat. Nobody wanted to buy it because they weren't sure it was fresh. Its more about the open markets and I kind of respect that. I'm sure factory farming isn't as rampant over there as it is here.
While I definitely agree that it's great that not everyone in the world's gone over to monoculture and factory farming, at the same time I wonder if the distance people over here have from animal exploitation won't help in the long run, by making people less morally comfortable with inflicting pain, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberlily1983 View Post

While I definitely agree that it's great that not everyone in the world's gone over to monoculture and factory farming, at the same time I wonder if the distance people over here have from animal exploitation won't help in the long run, by making people less morally comfortable with inflicting pain, etc.
This. Also, China is going over to the factory-farm model, which is seen as the "way of the future" throughout Asia, esp with pigs. China raises more pigs than any other nation in the world.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top