VeggieBoards banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen quite a few posts about suitable B12 vitamins for vegans.

I don't know if they're available in the US, but here in Canada Jamieson Vitamins offers vegan vitamins. I emailed the company just to be sure and this was their response:

In regards to your specific request, all of our B12 products with the exception of the 250mcg product are suitable for vegan diets.

If anyone's interested, he gave me a copy of their product listings of what products they have that are suitable for vegans.

http://shallock.aloak.ca/Productlisting.pdf

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
they also don't test on animals, or so their labels say.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Thanks for the listing. Lots of companies don´t care if it´s suitable for vegans or not. Though: I´m not 100 % sure, does veg. stand for vegan or vegetarian?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
According to the person I emailed at Jamieson Vitamins, he said that the veg is for vegan.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Great. Good you asked. I´ve just looked at the listing again. I think they lowest they have is 25 mcg (µg), I consider 25 mcg more than necessary. Most of it will be wasted.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Here is a little bit I found about B-12:

Additionally, claims are made in vegan and vegetarian literature that B12 is present in certain algae, tempeh (a fermented soy product) and Brewer's yeast. All of them are false as vitamin B12 is only found in animal foods. Brewer's and nutritional yeasts do not contain B12 naturally; they are always fortified from an outside source.

There is not real B12 in plant sources but B12 analogues--they are similar to true B12, but not exactly the same and because of this they are not bioavailable (13). It should be noted here that these B12 analogues can impair absorption of true vitamin B12 in the body due to competitive absorption, placing vegans and vegetarians who consume lots of soy, algae, and yeast at a greater risk for a deficiency (14).

http://www.powerhealth.net/selected_articles.htm

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Right. The thing i, when manufacturers/sellers made these claims, ´there weren´t any tests to differentiate between B12 and analogues. So, now as we know about these analogues, one should stop making these claims.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts