VeggieBoards banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i first vegan about a year ago i wasn't aware of the problems with attaining b12 and therefore didn't adjust my diet to inlclude it.

I'e been reading up on b12 defiency and it do seem to have some symptons.

I'm just wondering though if its possible that my body has a defiency now (from the first 9 months or so) even though i now make sure i am getting it.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
The stuff I've read says that B12 deficiency can be corrected by B12 supplements, so I would say that if you're getting enough B12 now, you should be fine. If you've just recently started watching your B12 intake, it might take a little while for the symptoms to go away.

Are you having serious symptoms or is it just fatigue, etc.? If the symptoms are serious, you should go to a doctor to rule out anemia caused by something other than inadequate B12 intake.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you ate animal products for most of your life, there should be enough B-12 stored in your body to last for quite some time, perhaps years. But you could very well have some other nutritional deficiency or health problem. I second what muppetcow said, talk to a doctor if you're worried.

·
Registered
0 Posts
What is more likely, given the time frame we're talking about here, is that you are low on iron.

Vegetarians need more iron then omnis (not a lot more, but a little), so you may not be getting enough.

If you want, post what you've eaten today and I can give you a good idea on your iron situation in regards to food.

If you are low on iron, there are things you can do before having to take the pills (which by all accounts are hideous, nasty, disgusting things).

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
i do a b12 injection (1000mg) every month so i don't worry about b12 but iron is another story. i was taking nu-iron every day but it's pretty nasty. i just make sure that i take a multi w/iron and eat iron fortified cereal

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lenore

If you ate animal products for most of your life, there should be enough B-12 stored in your body to last for quite some time, perhaps years. But you could very well have some other nutritional deficiency or health problem. I second what muppetcow said, talk to a doctor if you're worried.
I was curious as to how the body stores b12 for extended periods of time. So I looked it up. I found that it is actually water soluable, and it is not easily stored! Although it can take awhile for symptoms to be noticible, I wouldn't risk it. So supplementing it would be essential.

I heard sea veggies have it... Go vegan sushi! heh

http://www.veggieglobal.com/nutrition/notalot.htm

http://www.guardian.co.uk/medicine/s...902466,00.html

http://www.veggieglobal.com/nutrition/vitamins.htm

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/b12.htm

·
Registered
412 Posts
According to Becoming Vegan:

Quote:
Our bodies recycle and reuse vitamin B12 very efficiently, some people more efficiently than others. A little of the B12 in our bodies is secreted through bile into the intestine and then 65-75% of it is reabsorbed. The most efficient recyclers, those who absorb B12 very well, can go for three, or even as long as twenty years, without obvious dietary sources.
According to the VRG link FafaFrappy posted:

Quote:
Vitamin B12 deficiency is actually quite rare even among long-term vegans. Normally, vitamin B12 is secreted into the small intestine along with bile and other secretions and is reabsorbed, but this does not add to the body's vitamin B12 stores. Since small amounts of vitamin B12 are not reabsorbed, it is possible that eventually vitamin B12 stores will be used up. However, we may be quite efficient at re-using vitamin B12 so that deficiency is rare.
So I would say again that B12 deficiency is a possibility, but unlikely. Maybe something to check out if more likely explanations are ruled out.

·
Registered
0 Posts
hehe, maybe I shouldn't glance over things. But still, I didn't eat meat a whole lot before becoming veg, so I benefit from using it. I may not need to supplement it as much, so I eat items that contain it a lot. Taking pills freaks me out.. heh

What I meant was, you don't really have any excess stored. Perhaps I had a misconception from your post. I'm still looking through these articles...

Thanks Lenore!

·
Registered
0 Posts
blueserendipity... i've had the same symptoms before, and went through a helluva time trying to figure it all out...

in the end, simply searching deep within myself (i am no big hippy either) to the roots of teh problem , i have found that my lack of energy and anxiety was linked to my issues with control in my life, and when i let other people's advice determine my actions too much, rather than taking it all in and then trusting my own intuition, then i lost a sense of control and became depressed, causing fatigue, and highly anxious, causing panic attacks.

i went back to being omni for a while thinking it may help me, and maybe i was all wrong and everyone else was right, blah,blahblah... not surprisingly... the fatique and anxiety only got worse! BECAUSE I WASN'T IN CONTROL OF MY OWN HAPPINESS.

So, i'm not saying this is the case with you, because i have spoken to people who believe they have truly suffered from lack of b12, but it is wise to remember that there is a lot of confusing, confliucting information out there, and the most true knowledge is that which is within you...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kat New

blueserendipity... i've had the same symptoms before, and went through a helluva time trying to figure it all out...

in the end, simply searching deep within myself (i am no big hippy either) to the roots of teh problem , i have found that my lack of energy and anxiety was linked to my issues with control in my life, and when i let other people's advice determine my actions too much, rather than taking it all in and then trusting my own intuition, then i lost a sense of control and became depressed, causing fatigue, and highly anxious, causing panic attacks.

i went back to being omni for a while thinking it may help me, and maybe i was all wrong and everyone else was right, blah,blahblah... not surprisingly... the fatique and anxiety only got worse! BECAUSE I WASN'T IN CONTROL OF MY OWN HAPPINESS.

So, i'm not saying this is the case with you, because i have spoken to people who believe they have truly suffered from lack of b12, but it is wise to remember that there is a lot of confusing, confliucting information out there, and the most true knowledge is that which is within you...
I'm glad you raised this point. I see a lot of posts related to food being the source of all benefits and problems, and a lot of books with wild claims...

But so much of this stuff comes from within, not just without, and a healthy psychology is somewhere similar in importance to a healthy diet!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kristadb

Fafa,

Sea vegetables are NOT...I repeat NOT a reliable source of B12. *NOT*

Again *NOT*

Please, if you have vegan children, do *not* rely on sea veggies as a source.
I second that! Sea vegetables contain a INACTIVE form of Vitamin B12, and therefore actually BLOCK the active Vitamin B12 that you might be getting from being absorbed. So instead of trying to get your Vitamin B12 from sea veggies, try to cut down on those, or at least don't have them in the same meal as fortified milk or something

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kristadb

Fafa,

Sea vegetables are NOT...I repeat NOT a reliable source of B12. *NOT*

Again *NOT*

Please, if you have vegan children, do *not* rely on sea veggies as a source.
Nah, I don't rely on them as my source. All I said was that they're good, really. I like vegan sushi! But I don't eat it often at all.

I actually supplement every couple days or so... But I HATE pills. Ach! I'd prefer a shot to the bum. lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts