VeggieBoards banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A weird experience with B12, wonder if anyone has input?

So I've been Lacto Ovo for 19, strict.

I've taken B12 for most of it, though I was fairly lax the first few years.

I had a blood test 6 or 7 years ago that showed my B12 and iron fine. I'm aware that blood testing for B12 is far from fool proof.

I had been having loose stools for a few years, to the point that no matter what I did it was loose. Screwed around with my diet / fibre intake etc... didnt make a difference. Dr gave me a kit to test for a parasite that I didnt do.

I started to get blurriness in my left eye. I had previously had what was chalked up as occasional 'occular migraine' in the same eye, I would wake completely unable to see out of the eye for a few minutes, but it would pass.

The bluriness had me worried so I decided I would try and load up on B12, just to see what would happen. I took Methyl with sporadic Dibencozide every day for a few weeks.

I had what I could only describe as a 'nerve attack'. I was getting a shooting nerve sensational all over my body, but primarily in my legs in arms. I continued to take the B12 pretty heavy for a week or two, and after 2 or 3 weeks the nerve sensations subsided.

Anyway, the big thing that happened is my loose stools completely solved. The issue is totally gone. I had the issue for several years, lots of B12 and its gone. The difference was night and day.

So I'm guessing my B12 was quite low, and this is the result of the correction.

Anyone have an explanation or similar experience? I told this to my doctor and she didnt know what to think, though I know her knowledge of B12 is pretty limited from discussing it with her before.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
As far as I know, the main classic symptoms of B-12 deficiency are a type of anemia and neurological problems. It's definitely important to get enough B-12, and even omnivores don't always get enough. Supposedly, nerve damage from not enough B-12 can be permanent; if that's so, then loading up on B-12 wouldn't have made any difference. I've never heard of loose stools being caused by lack of B-12 though. I have that often, every now and then, and figure it's because of all the fiber in my diet... whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits... When that happens, I sometimes make a temporary move toward more refined grains ( just for a week or two) to ease up on the fiber a bit.

Anyway, 6 or 7 years ago is a long time; you could have developed a deficiency by then. What makes you think your doctor isn't knowledgeable about B-12? I'm not saying she isn't; maybe she is.

Reactions: Mr. H.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts