VeggieBoards banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is turning 16 in June. We are throwing her a Big birthday party/cookout.

She is very gothic, all her friends are omni's, and I need to come up with a very cool menu for her party-- including beverages.

We are going to be outside, swimming, volleyball, music, ......

Anyone have any ideas?

Anyone out there close to her age?

Thanks!
LL

·
Registered
4,606 Posts
Hehe! I love the kitty litter cake.
You should go for an all out gross-out theme. You know, pasta salad "brains".. guacamole guts... those thin stick crackers for bones... ratatouille heart, poop pudding. You could drink "blood" - cherry or grape juice (or, wine).

Is that appropriate for a sixteen year old? I never acted my age. I would have enjoyed it, though!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure what would work here, but I think the key is to keep Martha Stewart out of the equation. Just make sure it doesn't seem really contrived-you know, like tea sandwiches or anything on toothpicks. Kids like to eat though, and whatever you put out will be enjoyed. I'm going to think on this a bit. I have a sister about that age, maybe I'll give her a ring.

Brandy

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey how about:

Dal with pita chips and tofu sour cream?

Smoothies and hummus with pita chips.

Or everyone's favorite, pizza.

There are lots of recipes for vegan dips, you can have chips and dip and you can have just plain regular cokes as the cold beverages.

That is what teenagars eat and I think it would be appreciated.

Are you vegans or vegetarians?

If you are vegetarains, just go for cheese pizza and breadsticks

with cokes and have snacks like chips and dip.

Shannon

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Is there a such thing as black food coloring? I would make a cake, like black forest, but make the frosting black, and have bright red cherries in the middle. Sounds cool and gothic to me. I was a bit goth at that age, I think I would have found that cool.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in a similar situation trying to figure out what to do for food at my house-cooling party. It's the same thing.... swimming, general running around, music, ect. The pizza idea is out, as I doubt that people would be willing to eat cheeseless pizza (it's so good though). I may end up springing for veggie-burgers or veggie-dogs (maybe with chili, maybe not). Teenagers are wonderfully unpicky, so you probably shouldn't have too big of a problem. Sodas and water are a given for drinks. Don't expect anyone to drink out of cups, you'll have to spring for small bottles or cans. Have you asked your daughter? Or maybe one of her friends that you feel comfortable talking to? When in doubt, supply them with sodas, chips and salsa. Queso too, if you're lacto-ovo. As long as the food's not all pink, or difficult to eat, or cut into teeny tiny shapes, it should get eaten.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
There is black food colouring. E153, carbon black. Though I am under the impression that it comes from bone char. Intstead, go for purplish colours, or reds. They fit in with the gothic theme.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah! make a purple cake. In my opinion, purple is even more gothic than black. Nah, purple plus black is gothic. What I mean is purple+black is more gothic to me than red+black. I dont even know what I mean.

But I'm in that age group. Maybe like, a barbecue, you could have veggie burgers and fruit salads and possibly pizza(depending on whether your daughter eats cheese or not). And...tortilla chips and salsa.

Oh yeah! have mexican food! Everyone loves mexican food, whether they eat meat or not.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Mexican food is good. Have a stack of tortillas, bowls of tomatoes, lettuce, guacamole, salsa, chips, cheese if she eats it, and beans for the filling.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I agree with the Mexican food theme. Or you could go Middle Eastern and do hummus, baba ghanoush, tabouleh, falafel, etc.

Or you could just go easy and do a big fruit salad, potato salad, pasta salad, and chips. Teenagers are suckers for junk food, so chips should be a big hit.

·
Registered
878 Posts
im not sur if i wud go for a cake

im near that age and none of my friends wud think it very cool to have a cake unless thats just them

definatly have chips and sodas ehehe one time my friends mom bought them non-acholic beers and didnt tell the friends that it was non - alcholic then later they were all pretending to be drunk ! haha

but the non acholic is ssoo disgusting !

well any way tell us how it goes !

·
Registered
469 Posts
Did you run this pool party idea by your daughter? I was in a gothic type group when i was 16, and none of them would ever go to a pool party...theyre not big on swimming and bathing suits.

·
Registered
6,902 Posts
Renting some really cool movies could be a good idea. Also, maybe get some candles to set the mood.

I have always wanted cake at my birthdays, but my get togethers got pretty relaxed by that age, mostly bc I was too busy to plan such a thing. But we ate, watched movies, gossiped.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think the mexican food idea is great. You could get some cool day of the dead stuff too, if you feel she'd be up for decorating.

Brandy

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Make sure she oks everything/most things first...

I know i would die if my mum planned everything.. but i suppose thats just my mums taste...

Danny

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i'm not planning anything without her, i know better than that, believe me! lol.

i think we are having veggie burgers and salsa and chips, i make killer salsa. and the fruit salad sounds really good. i think i'll do that. yes, she wan't a cake. that was the most important thing to her. lol. cake.

we would both like to have a nite party instead, but, you gotta work with what you have. and we are having the party at a friend's house, during the day, and i think more parents will let the kids come if it's during the day instead of at nite. who knows.

and there's more things available to do during the day. so the gothic little vampires will just have to put some sun block on and call it a day.

thanks for all your helpful ideas!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts