VeggieBoards banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...So, if you're someone who is completely not okay with discussing embarrassing stuff clickety-clack that back button, my friends.

I have been a vegan for about 3 weeks now and I've been noticing some weird changes. Don't get me wrong, I feel great! I no longer feel weighed down or guilty from my food choices but, I have some questions on the more adverse side effects I've experienced.

First off, I've always had very clear skin. I'm sort of OCD about it honestly though. I use face washes and stridex pads like crazy throughout the day and as a result have always been very clear complected. Now that I've started my vegan diet, my face is breaking out. Why is that? You would think that clearing out all the crap from my diet would make me have even better skin. Did any of yall experience this when becoming vegan? Is that normal?

Also, ever since I've started this lifestyle, I've had soooo much more gas than I usually do. I mean, sure, everybody farts. But, come on universe! I've been having so much gas. My parents think its all the veg I'm eating..maybe its more fiber? I have no idea. I'm not enjoying either of these things going on lol. I guess, what I'm asking is....Is this normal? When going vegan, were any of yall more zit faced and gassy!

Thanks for reading (;

·
Super Moderator
8,961 Posts
I had the exact opposite experience. My skin was always blotchy, prone to breakouts regardless of cleanliness. I already was getting enough fiber, and my gas issues were from meat, and eggs. That changed for the better just going to lacto vegetarian.
Many here have posted the same results as yours. You bodies going through a change, so ride this out, and it most likely will correct itself.
Another thing to consider is your diet in general. Are you getting mostly vegetables, fruits, good protein and whole grains? And enough water? If your fiber is up, your water intake should go up as well.
Welcome here!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alongside my vegan choice, I've also decided to cut out all greasy fattening foods, vegan or not. And sugars and stuff too. Thats why I'm so surprised with the skin condition. I really hope you're right and my body will recalibrate itself into not so gassy and clear skin once again. :)

·
Banned
1,189 Posts
When you're vegan, you often do a facepalm when you see ridiculous non-vegan ingredients added to stuff that would otherwise be vegan. If your hands are not clean, a facepalm leads to acne on the face.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty_Shell View Post

When you're vegan, you often do a facepalm when you see ridiculous non-vegan ingredients added to stuff that would otherwise be vegan. If your hands are not clean, a facepalm leads to acne on the face.
love this!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Stridex pads are actually pretty bad for your skin.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ditto to the gas & breakouts mate! But I can happily report it's settling down now (coming into month 3 no eggs & dairy) which is a relief! I think it was just my bodys way of finally getting rid of all the nastyness. So dont be put off! I'm no doctor but I have heard that over-washing your face can be just as bad as not washing it at all, as your skin over-compensates by producing excess oil. Annoyingly, some of the clearest skinned people I know use nothing but a splash of water on theirs. You wouldnt catch me doing that though!

·
Registered
245 Posts
yup I bet you are detoxing. I had a bit of tummy issues and headaches in the beginning. Lasted about 1month. So you are hopefully out of it soon! I think the body has to adjust going from low fiber to high fiber.

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissMiss View Post

yup I bet you are detoxing. I had a bit of tummy issues and headaches in the beginning. Lasted about 1month. So you are hopefully out of it soon! I think the body has to adjust going from low fiber to high fiber.
That's what I was thinking. Having said that. I'm fairly sure gas is just a part of the deal, but it does get better (exception being when I eat lentils-oy!).

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Breezed through the thread, and others have mentioned it, but yeah, I think the zits is detoxing and the gas is from your body adjusting to a change in diet. All sounds very normal.
I didn't have any of these issues myself, but I was vegetarian before I became vegan, so my body was already accustomed to lots of fiber, beans, etc.
The only thing I remember is having a sore throat a couple of times, in the first month, thinking that I was coming down with a cold... but then it would go away.
That may have been a bit of a detox going on, after removing dairy from my diet (I didn't eat that many eggs).

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks yall
This has put me a bit at ease and not just thinking my body was going into "Haha! You'll never get a boyfriend!" mode lol

Also: Why are stridex pads bad for the skin?

·
Not such a Beginner ;)
8,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylaxmae View Post

Thanks yall
This has put me a bit at ease and not just thinking my body was going into "Haha! You'll never get a boyfriend!" mode lol

Also: Why are stridex pads bad for the skin?
Ha! I agree about the detox. Some people have food sensitivities that exacerbate the gas issues. A food/gas journal (lol) may help discover the cause. Sometimes soy, or certain other beans. I double rinse beans after cooking, it helps me.

Congrats on your wonderful new journey of veg!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't really know what stridex pads are, but the truth about all those commercial beauty products is, they actually contain many harmful chemicals that get absorbed into the skin and, over time (with bioaccumulation and all) causes trouble. Try things like drinking your water with a splash of freshly squeezed lemon juice, or rubbing a teeny bit of unrefined coconut oil on your face. As for the gas/skin problems, have you been increasing your intake of fatty/greasy/processed/junk food? It's not because of dairy since you've become vegan...also, try soaking your beans/grains in water for a few hours/overnight before cooking and eating, so it gets rid of the enzyme inhibitors (of course, you don't reuse the water...maybe for your plants?)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts