1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.uncaged.co.uk/news/2012/avon.htm

Quote:
Uncaged forces Avon to retract fraudulent cruelty-free claims

\t Another Uncaged complaint has forced global cosmetics firm Avon to withdraw false claims that they don't test on animals. Uncaged had written to the Advertising Standards Authority in protest at a deceptive statement on Avon's UK website that told consumers:
\t
'Avon does not test products or ingredients on animals, nor do we request others to do so on our behalf.'
\t
\t Uncaged, one of the UK's leading experts on animal experimentation, informed the ASA that this statement was untrue. On the contrary, Avon themselves have admitted in correspondence and on their global website that they carry out toxicity testing on animals.
\t Avon explain that their refusal to stop animal testing is due to their desire to be able to incorporate new chemicals into their products, as they believe innovation will maximise their profits.
\t Uncaged's victory for truth and decency follows their similar successful complaint against Procter & Gamble last year over deceptive claims regarding their Herbal Essences brand. Uncaged point out that misleading animal testing claims are endemic in the multi-national consumer goods industry, and are calling upon the Government to take action to defend consumers and tackle unnecessary cruelty to animals.
\t Dr Dan Lyons, Uncaged's Campaigns Director comments:
\t
'Sadly, these large animal testing companies appear to have a policy of systematically misleading consumers rather than responding to their overwhelming opposition to gratuitous cruelty to animals. Given that a large majority of people are opposed to these tests, we believe that we are witnessing a multimillion pound fraud as consumers purchase products on the basis of deceptive claims about their provenance.
\t Furthermore, lobbying by the cosmetics industry appears to have forced the EU to break a popular promise to ban animal-tested cosmetics from the European market. Therefore, the need for honest and accurate information to allow consumers to make informed decisions has never been greater.'
\t
Seriously? Between this and ridiculous loopholes about "faux" fur and dog and cat fur it's a wonder more companies involved in the fashion industry aren't drowning in lawsuits.

·
Registered
205 Posts
So they really test on animals? Ugh. Good thing I wasn't buying anything from them in case of animal ingredients. Barry M is still ok, right?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I dont trust any company that isnt BUAV approved.
www.gocrueltyfree.org

Thats the only way you can be sure.
Any company can claim CF if the final product wasnt tested on animals, but the ingredients may have been. People fall for it because 'it says so on the bottle'

The BUAV make sure that doesnt happen.

Barry M are not BUAV approved, so personally I dont use them.
I use Beauty without Cruelty.
They are vegan too. Some companies BUAV approve are not vegan as they use beeswax so it takes time to look at each company.

·
Registered
205 Posts
From the barry m website-

"We are proud to be listed by Naturewatch as a Cruelty Free supplier of cosmetics with a fixed cut-off date animal testing policy.

To find out more, please see the Naturewatch Compassionate Shopping Guide - The definitive guide to animal testing in Personal Care and Household Products. "
This sounds like they have been approved by a similar organisation?
They list which products are vegan, too, which makes it seem like they're serious.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Ive never heard of Naturwatch...and I must admit I havent been on the Barry M Website for a long time.
If thats enough for you thats fine...even ithout the backup of an independant organisation people are fine using whatever brand. Personally speaking I go off the BUAV as its more well known.

ETA-Just been on the NW website...you have to BUY the guide to see who they approve...BUAV simply have a list online.
Barry M did mention the magic words though 'Fixed cutoff Date'...its a toughy

·
Registered
205 Posts
I really hope it is as good as the BUAV, just got a mascara from them

I suppose I'll have to use different stuff now.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
No, no..You use them if you feel they are ok. I am by no means an expert. I bought a load of BM stuff back in the day...I still use it but just havent bought anything new..

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
They might well be telling the truth.

Like I say. Dont believe me, just because I say my thoughts doesnt make them true.

Give Beauty Without Cruelty a look up..they have some lovely ranges. I use them all the time. Unfortunately I have to order online as no one in this backward town stocks them...but if you contact them they will tell you where near you stock the range.

·
Banned
437 Posts
^Agreed. This just pisses me off. Plenty of people don't care if their products are animal-tested - Maybelline and Covergirl are still doing great. Lying about it to those of us who care is just totally unacceptable. I hope they tank. Hard.

·
Registered
961 Posts
I was thinking abou going to an avon party the next time my friend had one. Glad that didnt happen. Its horrible to lie to people about testing on animals but the act of testing on the animals is ever far worst.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post

^Agreed. This just pisses me off. Plenty of people don't care if their products are animal-tested - Maybelline and Covergirl are still doing great. Lying about it to those of us who care is just totally unacceptable. I hope they tank. Hard.
Are they approved by an independent organisation...or just a claim they make themselves...like Avon did. Unless it backed up can you be sure..
Also Loreal who do test on Animals owns Maybelline.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't think Avon claimed to be approved by an organisation-I have looked at their website before when I used to use their products to make sure. All they said was that they didn't tet on animals and used alternative methods of testing or something.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

Are they approved by an independent organisation...or just a claim they make themselves...like Avon did. Unless it backed up can you be sure..
Also Loreal who do test on Animals owns Maybelline.
Maybelline and Covergirl don't claim to be cruelty free, which I think is what YellowRose was saying... the companies are both successful (bah) without making fraudulent claims about being cruelty-free, so it's not like animal testing sends cosmetic companies down the sinkhole.

I so wish it did, though.

·
Banned
437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishani View Post

Especially with a vegan as their promo girl.
Yup
Drives me nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeryFairy View Post

Maybelline and Covergirl don't claim to be cruelty free, which I think is what YellowRose was saying... the companies are both successful (bah) without making fraudulent claims about being cruelty-free, so it's not like animal testing sends cosmetic companies down the sinkhole.
That's what I meant, yeah. Almost all of my female friends and family members use these two brands. I've mentioned the animal testing to them, but they think I'm being weird and extreme to avoid something so common. After all, if it's on all the commercials, it can't be evil...

·
Registered
282 Posts
I tried to explain to someone that I don't use certain things due to animal testing and he got super offended and asked if I'd rather them test on humans. Then asked where I thought medications and medical treatments came from. Its something that struck me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
One of my ethics teachers said the same thing. He said that great advances in surgery could not have been accomplished without animal testing. Ugh.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts