VeggieBoards banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say you only use half of the avocado, how would you store the other half while retaining it's freshness?

BTW, anyone have any quick meal suggestions that center around the avocado? Thanks!

·
Registered
875 Posts
I wrap the half with the stone in in cling film and put it in the fridge. It's fine the next day. Lately I've been having avocado, tomato and olives in pitta bread. Yum!

·
Ex-*****
5,391 Posts
I've been storing them in little plastic boxes, and they've been fine the next day.

I like to chop it up and then mash it directly onto a slice of bread, and then add maybe one or more spices. And maybe olives! And maybe some slices of red paprika (bell pepper). And maybe a leaf or two of lettuce. Might as well add another slice of bread to hold it together. Mmmm!

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I usually put a bit of lemon juice in the bottom of a sealable plastic container and put the avocado cut-side down in the container. It's good for a day -- I wouldn't try to keep it much longer.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
When I open an avocado, I cut it into cubes and put the rest in a small container in the fridge.

It does get a little brownish after a while, but it's still just as good. You should eat it within about a week. I do this regularly, since I like it spread on toast.

·
Registered
283 Posts
You mean you don't eat the whole thing in one sitting? lol I have never had the problem of saving avacados because I eat them all at once....

·
Registered
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebecarrot View Post

You mean you don't eat the whole thing in one sitting? lol I have never had the problem of saving avacados because I eat them all at once....
Great answer!!! i usually do the same.

But when I don't I take a small sandwhich bag and suck the air out of it while closing it. It stays really fresh.

·
Registered
11,049 Posts
Yeah, I'm another 'whole avacado' person.

I have had good luck saving part by squeezing a few drops of lemon or orange juice on the cut part. Save in a baggie or wrap.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I like avacados.

Sorry, that was random. Cling wrap is what my mum and I always use. My dad is a whole avacado person too.

Have an avo, Have an avo, Have an avocado... Yes I am quoting adds. Don't laugh.

·
Registered
183 Posts
KarenLovesSnow,

Try cutting the avocado open with a plastic knife instead of a metal one, and see if that stops it from turning brown.

Between me and my husband, and the salad dressing I make there normally isn't any avocado to save, but my first husband used to swear by this method.

He said there was some sort of reaction between the metal in the knife, and the avocado.

Claudia

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hi BluePlasticStraw,

I normally find Florida avocados to be watery and tasteless while the California Haas avocados are creamy and delicious. The two taste totally different to me. Maybe for people who live in florida and get them locally it might be different, but to me the ones that get shipped out of florida are just awful. I always buy the California Haas avocados.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4all View Post

Have an avo, Have an avo, Have an avocado... Yes I am quoting adds. Don't laugh.
Hahah i love that ad!!!

I love avacados.

On toast with butter (or marg if you prefer) salt and pepper mm..

Guacamole.. Mmmm.

Yesterday I needed to save half (planned on having it on toast for breakfast.. and then some guacamole later)

Wrapped it tightly in glad wrap.. banged it in the frige.. and it had brown spots.. but tasted fine!

But usually im a whole avacado person.. just none seem to be rip grrr DAMN PATIENCE.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Brandon View Post

Keep the seed in it, wrap it and refrigerate it.
That is the key. I have stored halves of avacados for days in the fridge like this. The exposed part gets a touch brown, but nothing like it would if you stored it without the pit. Also, if you make up guacamole ahead of time, pit the pits back into the dip before you refrigerate. It will not turn brown at all.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts