VeggieBoards banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Avacado Loaf:

1 egg (I have never used the egg when making this recipe. Easily omitted, but understand that the slices might crumble a bit when you serve from dish)

16 oz firm tofu, pressed & crumbled

2 Tbsp minced onion

2 Tbsp minced celery leaves (or you can use celery stocks)

1/4 cup catsup

1 c bread crumbs

1 avacado, coarsely mashed

2 Tbsp chopped parsley

Sauce:

3 Tbsp margarine (or butter, or oil)

1 Tbsp minced onion

1/4 c flour

1 veg. bouillion cube dissolved in 1 cup hot water

1/2 tsp vegetarian Worcester Sauce (if you dont have, try soy sauce or tamari

Fresh lemon or lime juice

1/2 avacado coarsley mashed

Preheat oven to 400. Mix all loaf ingredients in large bowl. Grease loaf pan and fill evenly with avacado mixture. Bake until firm, 20-25 min.

While loaf is baking, prepare sauce. Heat 1 Tbsp margarine in skillet and cook onion until translucent-3-5 min. Set aside. In separate skillet, lightly brown flour. Add remaining 2 Tbsp margarine, mix well and let cool slightly. Add cooked onion, dissolved boullon cube, worcester sauce, and lemon or lime juice & pepper to taste. Mix well and cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring constantly. Add avacado and spoon over cooked loaf

*Note* For a more mexican flavor, chop cilantro instead of celery and then add 1-2tsp ground cumin in the sauce.

Serve with salad of oranges, avacados, and thinly sliced red onions. Or maybe a nice mayo-less coleslaw.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I'm an avocado freak, and I just printed this recipe. Sounds awesome. I thinks there's a thread about recipes involving avocados -- maybe this should be copied there? BTW, I have never used egg replacers before, I'm not even sure what they are ... would that maybe work for binding?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried a powdered egg replacer the first time I made this and I didnt notice any difference when I made it without. So I dont bother. But if you try it, let me know how it turns out.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are avocados supposed to be in the fridge? i've never had them and i don't know anyone who has. but i bought one and i was reading through the avocado recipe thread and some of those sound do-able. how do i know if it's ripe??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts