VeggieBoards banner

Australia So what vegan chocolate is available in Australia?

12K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  FullOfBeans 
#1 ·
I've been in the UK for a bit but i'm coming back to Australia in a few weeks and I wanted to know if there are any brands of dark chocolate you guys know are vegan. Hopefully some kinds that they'd be selling around the Coffs Harbour/Grafton/Port Maquarie etc area, not just in Sydney?

I *could* look it up but the internet has lied to me before - it told me Green and Black's dark chocolate was vegan and it's got milk solids in it.

Thanks fellas.

See less See more
#2 ·
i cant think of the names right now! but i can find them if i look! if you go into the main supermarkets u can find the vegan ones in the chocolate area lol. they have tons of choices, and a few vegan ones are thrown in there as well! otherwise there are the vegan shops which would have them as well!

#8 ·
I remember reading some place that they had to put that thing about the milk solids on there, as it was a potential contaminent ['may contain traces of' etc]...but I dunno for sure, I never went after information. If that was the case, I guess at least they put it on there so people could be 'better safe than sorry'. [/pointless information]

Green and Blacks 'chocolate' drink though... ohhh yeah
I can only find it in health food shops though. Be sure to raid the Sweet William products at your local Coles/Woolworths etc; as Jen suggested. I went for some time without trying their Not Nuts product, and I cannot believe I lived without it in my life. Delicious!

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by major.walrus View Post

Thanks Pixelle.

Although I would like to say that although i've read in several places on the net that Green + Black's Dark is vegan, I read the packet and the last ingredient on the list was 'milk solids'. Just a heads up.
Yeh, it's a bummer hey, how you have to always keep checking the list.

#15 ·
Just to let you know Green and Blacks dark chocolate is vegan. The milk powder on the ingredients is because they are complete and utter idiots who decided that because it was a trace ingredient due to shared machinery they needed to add it to the ingredients, even though the trace was minimal if existant at all.

They didn't feel that a "this product may contain traces of milk" label was appropriate. I had several long email discussions with them about this and they insist this is the best idea, despite the fact it limits their market and makes them look like idiots. It is safe to eat though unless you are allergic to milk.

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwalkersgirl View Post

Kristobel!!!!
I noticed today that Whittakers dark ghana is vegan? ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!! How strong is it?
All whittakers dark chocolate is vegan.... including their dark peanut slabs, dark chocolate and all the high percentage dark chocolates (like ghana) as well of course. There are some flavoured ones as well..... I think. Oh of course the dark caramel is NOT vegan as it has condensed milk.... but the plain dark ones definitely are.

Sweet Williams is also very yummy... albeit a bit more expensive than whittakers.

#20 ·
I think I'm going to be the odd one out but I bought some sweet william chocolate chips and nearly gagged. Then I checked and they have 6% cocao...not chocolate in my opinion! Bonvita is amazing...but so expensive. I bought three bars for the next month today and it set me back $20.

#22 ·
Lollies are almost impossible to get for me..... In fact unless they are accidentally vegan I can't think of any. Sad... but once again, that is NZ and although similar Aussie usually seems to have a bit more vegan stuff than we get.

Although just found out that we have now got Soy condensed milk.... not long after you guys got it. Only problem is its Nestle..... and I boycot them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.